Skiing and Riding On This Date

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 4.40.33 PM.png

March 2, 2011, the inaugural "Northeast Ski Bloggers Summit" at Jay Peak. Me at the top of Can Am, photo by @Harvey. What a great day that was, and a what great time the whole affair was.

View attachment 13507
I agree what a day. We got maybe 8 inches, unforecasted.

I was just thinking about this shot. We were on CanAm Monday right after they opened it and it was shark city. Made me realize how deep it must have been on that ^^ day.

My shots from the day:

Stateside

Stateside, the original

Bonaventure

The Bonny

Riverc0il-in-the-trees

@riverc0il

Mattchuck

@MC2

trees

Steve

@riverc0il on Exhibition

SBR-on-CamAm

@Sick Bird Rider on CanAm

Can Am usually sucks. But when it is good, it is great. If I recall correctly, at the Summit, it was probably one of my better runs down Can Am up to that point. Though, I've had quite a few knee deep untracked runs on Can Am since. Which is unusual, but it can sometimes provide silly good runs. Otherwise, it is pretty wind blown and scraped down. It is a very exposed trail.

FB is currently teasing me with memories of 8 years ago at JHMR.

I agree what a day. We got maybe 8 inches, unforecasted.

I was just thinking about this shot. We were on CanAm Monday right after they opened it and it was shark city. Made me realize how deep it must have been on that ^^ day.

My shots from the day:

View attachment 13509
Stateside, the original

View attachment 13510
The Bonny

View attachment 13511
@riverc0il

View attachment 13512
@MC2

View attachment 13513

View attachment 13514
@riverc0il on Exhibition

View attachment 13515
@Sick Bird Rider on CanAm

That shot of Riv could be a poster. Just sayin'

D9F35BF8-DA74-4EE2-9E64-BF927E0210CB.jpeg

3/3/18 “What Harvey said 3/2 “ All the stars lined up for me. Arrived perfect time, parking spot. Early chair and It was like crossing into another dimension.
The hoots and hollers were everywhere people smiling with other worldly excitement.
Quite comical trying to move once you removed your skis trying no navigate around the lodge, one step and you were up to your waist.

It occurs to me that within a year (or a few?) everyone will have posted there best days for each date.

Can you imagine if you were able to have ONE season that was a combination of all your best days on each date?

I was at Hunter for that epic day, I'll need to see if I can dig up some photos. Perfect example of how snowfall in the valley is no indication for what lies in the mountains. As I remember it Palenville only had a few very windswept inches, by the time we made it up towards the Kaaterskill Trail head suddenly there was over 3 feet, by Haines Falls cars were buried.

While I don't want to rule out the potential for another storm like that, it certainly felt like a once in a lifetime event.
You should have seen the winters of 92-93 and 93-94.

Back