Ski Rack, Cargo Box, Truck Bed or Inside?

Brownski

Since I’m no longer a pickup owner, I guess I need to determine how I’m going to be transporting my skis next winter. Seems like a cargo box is the best bet but they are also the most expensive option. What have you all tried? Anybody just bungee their skis directly onto the load bars? As crazy as it sounds, I’m now asking myself: why not?

I'm a cargo box guy. I have a Jeep Renegade. With the seats down it holds enough gear for an extended road trip. I also have a cage rack for strapping gear on the roof when the box is not in use. The box is super versatile. It's big enough to fit an extra bike, and provides good protection to all of your gear in all weather condition. You also get to flex your travel cred and gear lust with the obligatory sticker collection. Ski areas are on my left side... misc travel/gear on the right.

Roofbox.jpg

The primary reason I've read not to strap skis directly to a car roof is road dirt getting into bindings. For short drives, there are obviously people who do it. Buckmans is a ski shop in PA. They sell the Transpack Binding Protector.

Box. Best way to go. Effectively my ski storage all winter. My '02 Thule Vision holds four pair easily, and a snowboard on top of them for long hauls. And that one isn't the biggest. As mentioned above, you can use the larger, higher profile boxes for bike transport in warm weather. Equipment is protected from all sorts of road grime and the elements. I'm always astounded when I see skis mounted on vertical racks behind Jeeps and some cars. You just spent big bucks on your new skis and bindings and that's how you treat them? Good god, man. I know, some of them want to say, ha, I'm cool and I'm going skiing! No, you're not. The uncoolest is the snowboarder driving the large SUV that has enough room inside for two families, but they put their naked board up on the roof. Really? We're not impressed.

Downside is raising the overall height of the vehicle to the level that makes it impossible to use most parking garages and car washes. Then you have to have a spot to store it all summer. You dont want that thing up there if you dont need it.

Very very secure, too. Out of sight and out of mind. I have heard of only one stolen, and that was downtown Brooklyn at night. They had to saw through the bars that held it. Mine would require a crowbar and serious, loud time to break into. Not worth the bother, and easily caught.

If you dont already have a base bar system, putting a new box up there will run you close to 900 bucks. Yeah, ouch. Look for closeouts on cosmetic damaged boxes. You'll scratch it anyway.

There is an off brand box I could pick up for about 300 that would do the trick. I guess that’s the smart move. Still,Would a $99 Ski rack be all the bad? I have cheap bags for them. How long would they last up on the roof do you think?

Downside is raising the overall height of the vehicle to the level that makes it impossible to use most parking garages and car washes. Then you have to have a spot to store it all summer. You dont want that thing up there if you dont need it.
Good point. I had to get a new garage door last year as result of the height increase... fortunately, the damage to the box was minimal and the garage door was 30yrs old.

I have a subie...no rack or box..put down a seat and put the bad boys in the car...I fit 3 pair along with boot bags and 3 pp including the driver..

I'm a cargo box guy. I have a Jeep Renegade. With the seats down it holds enough gear for an extended road trip. I also have a cage rack for strapping gear on the roof when the box is not in use. The box is super versatile. It's big enough to fit an extra bike, and provides good protection to all of your gear in all weather condition. You also get to flex your travel cred and gear lust with the obligatory sticker collection. Ski areas are on my left side... misc travel/gear on the right.View attachment 3286
That is a monster. Has anybody ever slept in there?

I have a subie...no rack or box..put down a seat and put the bad boys in the car...I fit 3 pair along with boot bags and 3 pp including the driver..
I could probably get away with this. I guess I’ll need to test it out. The Impreza is pretty small

I could probably get away with this. I guess I’ll need to test it out. The Impreza is pretty small

The Impreza is bigger than you think. Load skis diagonally with one seat down like Jason said. Your old school long boards will be a problem, but modern skis under 185 are no problemo. Then pile everything else on top. I put skis in a ski bag inside the car for long trips, keeps everything nice and organized. The box idea is also good if you don't travel light.

Back