Sailplanes and Glider Flying

IMG_E5990.JPG

IMG_E5989.JPG

The past two weeks Soaring weather has been the best in years with Cloud bases reaching 11,000' . Some really long flights by the best pilots 750km plus in New England . .
A couple pictures from Saturday around Middletown NY ...Yes that's a snow squall . I did 235 miles and 6hrs Amateur level LOL

View attachment 9433
View attachment 9434

The past two weeks Soaring weather has been the best in years with Cloud bases reaching 11,000' . Some really long flights by the best pilots 750km plus in New England . .
A couple pictures from Saturday around Middletown NY ...Yes that's a snow squall . I did 235 miles and 6hrs Amateur level LOL
Do you fly out of Wurtsboro?

Do you fly out of Wurtsboro?
No I came from Slatington Pa. area past Blairstown NJ . I was headed to Wurtsboro and turned around due to lots of Verga . I really wanted to head for the Catskills . I joked with a friend about heading for Gorham NH . If it wasn't for the Verga I might have kept going LOL . Thermals were close to 10kts in areas ( 1000' per minute up)

No I came from Slatington Pa. area past Blairstown NJ . I was headed to Wurtsboro and turned around due to lots of Verga . I really wanted to head for the Catskills . I joked with a friend about heading for Gorham NH . If it wasn't for the Verga I might have kept going LOL . Thermals were close to 10kts in areas ( 1000' per minute up)
One year for my B day my wife got me a glider ride.. I still remember the silence after the tow rope was dropped. Just the sound of the wind. I couldn't even keep the wings level, darn stick was so sensitive..

Last edited:
One year for my B day my wife got me a glider ride.. I still remember the silence after the tow rope was dropped. Just the sound of the wind. I couldn't even keep the wings level, darn stick was so sensitive..
Over controlling is a common thing when first learning. The faster you go the less stick input required . For the most part they’re very stable. Much smoother ride than small airplanes .

If you land in Wurtsboro do you get a tug back up that day to get back? Do you leave your rig there and get someone to come pick you up? How does that work?

If you land in Wurtsboro do you get a tug back up that day to get back? Do you leave your rig there and get someone to come pick you up? How does that work?
Judgement call: If the weather is improving and it's early enough in the day you might get a tow and try to fly back . Aero tow retrieves can be expensive and if the towplane is busy they wont want to tow you back until late . So it's call you friend and they come with a trailer and help you disassemble . I've only landed out twice in 30yrs . Racing has a higher likelihood of landing away from home .

When my flight instructor was a kid flying a lower performance glider he would put his sleeping bag in the back . Fly to Wurtsboro and sleep overnight and fly back the next day .

I'm thinking this fellow went IMC and flew out of the cloud at an incredible altitude ? Would love to know the back story.

Back