Regular, Premium, MPG and AWD

Harvey

Administrator
That is a big diff between regular and premium. I wonder why they make it to run on premium? @Campgottagopee?

That is a big diff between regular and premium. I wonder why they make it to run on premium? @Campgottagopee?
Biggest reason is for fuel efficiency
Most cars that "require" higher octane fuel will run ok on reg. The computer will retard the timing so it burns properly. The result of that is you'll get less MPG, as well as you may get some carbon build up on the valves.

Biggest reason is for fuel efficiency
Most cars that "require" higher octane fuel will run ok on reg. The computer will retard the timing so it burns properly. The result of that is you'll get less MPG, as well as you may get some carbon build up on the valves.

So is that for the marketing (being able to advertise a higher MPG, while no one check the fine print on type of gas used) or it is that USUALLY regular and premium aren't that different and the higher MPG could pay off?

Does under 30 sound right for an imprezza on the highway at the speed limit?

So is that for the marketing (being able to advertise a higher MPG, while no one check the fine print on type of gas used) or it is that USUALLY regular and premium aren't that different and the higher MPG could pay off?
It's both
Yes, the higher octane could pay off but I doubt it. It truly depends on the car and the type of driving one does. For example, my dad had a Maxima that would "ping" under heavy load (going up hill getting on it), tech suggested higher octane fuel (recommended) and it went away. He had another Maxima that ran fine without the higher octane, no reason for it other than it just did.
Turbo cars are different, imo. Those things (like Corns WRX) a person should follow recommended fuel requirements. It's all about keeping the turbo cool and running a peak performance will help in doing that.
Yes. I believe the WRX is rated at 26mpg

I tried running mid grade, but it threw a CEL. I think the car may have been trying to adjust the timing, but that system might not be working anymore. I cleared the computer, went back to premium, no CELs since.

Yes. I believe the WRX is rated at 26mpg
To be fair, Subarus are pretty affordable versus Honda and Toyota. You give a little back on MPG. Also the WRX and Crosstrek don’t do as well as the plain vanilla Imprezas. I get about 30 mpg overall with 87 octane in my Impreza.

Only Subaru that gave me 30 mpg was my first Legacy wagon.

To be fair, Subarus are pretty affordable versus Honda and Toyota. You give a little back on MPG. Also the WRX and Crosstrek don’t do as well as the plain vanilla Imprezas. I get about 30 mpg overall with 87 octane in my Impreza.

The Subaru AWD is also better (meaning for traction) and that has a cost in terms of MPG. I believe (again defer to @Campgottagopee) that the honda is like 3-wheel drive, and the sube is 4wd. Something about the rear differential?

Old but still relevant

Most AWD systems can't move side to side like Subies. Subie moves side to side as well as front to back, that's the biggest difference in the AWD systems. Subie can literally have 1 wheel get traction and the car will move.
That's the best way I can explain it without getting into a bunch of mumble jumble talk.

Back