Random NYSkiBlog Stuff That You Might Not Care About

Original goal last summer when we moved to the new forum software was to get to 250 members by Jan 1. (We had about 700 in the old forum.)

Obviously that didn't happen:

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.34.27 AM.png

Still, not a bad first year.

Invite your friends if you think they'd enjoy this place.

Weren’t most of the old forum members pretty inactive though? I dug around a few times and I recall pages and pages of people that registered and never posted anything.How many active members were there? 242 in about six months seems pretty good to me.

Still, not a bad first year.
Invite your friends if you think they'd enjoy this place.
Thanks for what you do Harvey. I’ve told folks about it. They may just be lurkers.
Can ya tell if lurker numbers went up?

I have heard estimates from others about the cost of running their sites. Some of them seem way high to me.

Our hosting is pretty good quality and cost about $600 a year. You can get crappy hosting for a lot less as low as $10/month. I spring for better hosting because I like pages that load quickly, and so does google.

I also pay $10 a year for the domain name nyskiblog.com. "It's GOLD Jerry! GOLD!" :)

I've tried to cover those costs with advertising and now with the new forum, we are actually coming close, TBD. It has a much better advertising setup than Nabble did. Please disable your ad blockers.

The big cost, outside of all this is the cost of producing content for the front page. Lift tickets and gas and in some cases lodging. That's way more than $600. But I'd spend a lot of that money even if I didn't run a blog.

I have had some big one-time expenses. When we moved to a responsive design (looks good on a phone) a few years ago that required a lot of development. Something I can't do. It was probably $10k, but I negotiated with a guy who works for me professionally, and he charged me $2000. That hurt, and also had to be explained to the MRS, but it was necessary to enter the modern age. There have been a few other one time costs over the years.

The REAL cost is my time. The hours are high and they pay is probably negative.
That is awesome Harv, this site is freaking sweet and a can of corn to use , easy peezie

Thank you!
To some extent this is like thanking me for skiing, or thanking Camp for sledding. I love this site, and I'm proud of it.

Still, I'll take it. These are the ways you can show thanks to NYSB:

• Disable Ad Blockers
• Read, comment on, and share front page content
• Make positive constructive contributions in the forum, don't make work for me with crap that requires my attention, especially when I'm skiing* ⛷️

*Amazing to me how much better (more constructive) we've become over the last year. So THANK YOU all for that.

Weren’t most of the old forum members pretty inactive though? I dug around a few times and I recall pages and pages of people that registered and never posted anything.How many active members were there? 242 in about six months seems pretty good to me.
There were about 1000 registered members on the old forum. When I made the switch I sent email to all and about 300 came back undelivered. That's were I got the 700 from.

Active depends on how you define it. How do you define it?

It feels to me like we get broader participation now, certainly as a pecentage of total members. That's just a guess though.

That is awesome Harv, this site is freaking sweet and a can of corn to use , easy peezie
Talk to me about the "ease" what do you mean?

Separate question, how many use the WEATHER pages? (Maybe a poll coming?)

Talk to me about the "ease" what do you mean?

Separate question, how many use the WEATHER pages? (Maybe a poll coming?)
Well I can be technically challenged more from trying to save money back then, I had a flip phone until 3 years ago when I fell into a clients lake whilst trying to clear the drain of logs etc , was on their canoe and the damn thing tipped over , got a used iPhone 6 and I can easily transfer pictures to this site , all my work is in person at clients homes . Things seem clear cut on the site

Back