Quality Gloves for Skiing

i bought the black diamond patrol glove a few years ago. very warm. down side, it is thick. I am still drying to break it in. disclaimer .... I only wear it ski which is only 5-10 times a year, so it is taking time to break in. best glove i have ever owned.

Huge Free the Powder fan. Very high quality, not stiff at all like I found the Kinco’s to be, easy to change out a warmer insert. Hestra is probably the gold standard, but can pick up 2 pairs of these for the same price. Went with strictly gloves last year, switched over to the mittens for this year. They definitely run a little hotter so anything above 30F I go back to the glove.
Thanks for this. At 30 I am usually just wearing a medium liner. I think my hands run hot. On the super cold Gore days a liner and a glove were good enough.

Thanks for this. At 30 I am usually just wearing a medium liner. I think my hands run hot. On the super cold Gore days a liner and a glove were good enough.
They have 2 interchangeable liners. It’s an easy Velcro tab and they do not slip out which was my main concern. They also make a lighter spring skiing glove which I also have, and sounds like could be the one for you.

For downhill skiing I use Sno Sealed Kinco 901s. They are a little bulky and can be stiff when it’s cold but they’re awesome once you break them in.

For touring, XC, bike riding or when it’s not too cold I use BD Cirque Hybrids. They are a lightweight glove with a mitten shell that can be stowed in the cuff.

In the backcountry I use Torrid Mitts from Enlightened Equipment with BD waterproof shells.

I always use cheap hardware store gloves for cleaning off the car and shuttling gear. That keeps my go to gloves cleaner and drier for the day. The ones with rubber palms are grippy and keep help keep any metal you touch from sucking the heat out of your hands.

I always carry an extra pair of gloves in my pack. It’s a good habit to have.
Gearhead!

OK, went with Huestra more durable line; did not get the ones with the long overhang over wrists. Will get some good testing in over break.

The free the powders get honorable mention - just didn't think they would get to me in time. They seem to be taking a Jskis business model approach to high end gloves.

OK, went with Huestra more durable line; did not get the ones with the long overhang over wrists. Will get some good testing in over break.

If you run hot you may want to switch those out. Skied all last year with the tight cuff gloves and changed over this year to both a glove and mitten with the long overhang. I'm good for a full day now with one pair. They breath WAY better.

Spotted on a trip to Lowes. If I needed a new pair of every day (not bitterly cold) gloves right now, these would be perfect.

1C82845E-9EFD-48F1-82F3-DF160BFEBF2F.jpeg

Kincos seem to be more expensive every time I look. The whole idea of wearing insulated work gloves, apart from comfort and durability, is that they’re cheap.

I have been using Marmot Randonnee gloves for years. OR has a verson like this also. My hands are usually warm so the gortex somewhat controls the moisture. They are usually around $50-$60. I usually buy a pair every 3 years or so and use the older pair for warmer days or as a backup. They never get holes or rip. The insulation compresses and wears out after about 2-3 seasons.
I wear this glove, but I get more than three seasons. I may tolerate the insulation wearing out more than I probably should, lol. I think I've had two pair during the past ten years or so.

Back