Quality Gloves for Skiing

DomB

Hey everyone,

I am looking for quality gloves to invest in/consume. I am coming from mediocre Burton gloves that I bought online maybe 6-10 years ago. They have holes with the insulation exposed (which would have been fine but I think a boy scout I lent them to for cold weather camping who was unprepared ate them or lost them). I would like quality gloves that will keep me going on the coldest Gore type days and will last me a long time. I don't mind paying for quality as I use my gear a lot and I don't purchase gear often. Think of the kind of stuff that patrollers or instructors might use because they have to be out in all kinds of conditions.

Maybe TMI, but I will probably still wear light liners in the morning on cold days under the glove as I get sweaty hands, and if I don't, it is not fun putting my wet glove on after lunch.

Here is how I cover my hands. I almost always ski with a liner only, or a liner under a glove. This weekend at Belle just wore my medium duty liner. Then normally on a cold day will have a light or medium liner under the glove before lunch and if really cold day another liner after lunch, or just hand in glove.

Best,
D

Leather mittens with hand warmers keep my digits warm.
Bought Auclair mittens on sale at Gore. They’re nice and seem to be holding up.

Gotta keep the mitts away from the puppy though.
They too could be eaten. There’s feathers inem.

Last edited:
I'm no help, I'm a mitten guy. They are warmer and I don't find I can use gloves for anything I can't use mittens for. I can't take pictures with gloves or mittens and mittens are much easier to take on and off. Plus you can put warmers in mittens.

I carry two pairs sometimes three if it's snowing. Buttbag is key. Love having dry mittens after lunch.

I can't even recommend a good brand. I use Gordini because they are available. I buy a new pair every year.

Sierra Trading Post usually has decent gloves for decent prices. I have an old pair of EMS gloves and a pair of warm mittens for cold days but I usually wear leather work gloves.

I'm no help, I'm a mitten guy. They are warmer and I don't find I can use gloves for anything I can't use mittens for. I can't take pictures with gloves or mittens and mittens are much easier to take on and off. Plus you can put warmers in mittens.

I carry two pairs sometimes three if it's snowing. Buttbag is key. Love having dry mittens after lunch.

I can't even recommend a good brand. I use Gordini because they are available. I buy a new pair every year.
Don’t wanna make more work for ya but ya could change the title to gloves and/or mittens, just saying.
If ya wanna help.

For downhill skiing I use Sno Sealed Kinco 901s. They are a little bulky and can be stiff when it’s cold but they’re awesome once you break them in.

For touring, XC, bike riding or when it’s not too cold I use BD Cirque Hybrids. They are a lightweight glove with a mitten shell that can be stowed in the cuff.

In the backcountry I use Torrid Mitts from Enlightened Equipment with BD waterproof shells.

I always use cheap hardware store gloves for cleaning off the car and shuttling gear. That keeps my go to gloves cleaner and drier for the day. The ones with rubber palms are grippy and keep help keep any metal you touch from sucking the heat out of your hands.

I always carry an extra pair of gloves in my pack. It’s a good habit to have.

Back