Poll: What management model for the best ski experience at ORDA Ski Areas?

What management model for the best ski experience at ORDA Ski Areas?

• ORDA maintains full operational responsibility for ski areas and venues

• NY to lease the ski areas to private operators

• NY to sell the ski areas to private operators

Results are only viewable after voting.

NYSkiBlog

Administrator
We understand that options 2 and 3 may not even be possible. This is not about what will happen, it's about what you want.

Let's assume that leasing the ski areas would still prevent slopeside real estate development, but selling them wouldn't.

I know we've addressed this issue informally many times. I thought it would be good to collect the input in one place.

The ski areas aren't commercially viable, so ORDA is the only answer. I could easily imagine Vail or the deep pocket owners of Windham buying Belleayre just to close it, the way Fairbanks closed Brodie, or the the way the Bromley /Stratton owners closed Magic.
Whether NYS should be in the ski business is a different question.

mm

Unless there's a massive change to the state constitution, the state can't sell the ski areas to private entities. Unsure about leasing.

Let's assume that leasing the ski areas would still prevent slopeside real estate development, but selling them wouldn't.
ORDA’s UMP for Gore has approved trails planned to the planned slopeside condos-hotel.

I understand that options 2 and 3 may not even be possible. This is not about what will happen, it's about what you want.
This please. I was looking to short circuit the part about how it is impossible. It never leads anywhere.

I'm more interested in how you like your skiing, and using the ORDA question as substrate to get at the answer.

The ORDA model is the least focused on commercial viability
The lease model bring in more profit motive
The sell model is no holds barred, outside of zoning

The ski areas aren't commercially viable, so ORDA is the only answer.

Even if this is true, it doesn't pre-empt mountain potential.

Even if this is true, it doesn't pre-empt mountain potential.
What do you mean exactly by mountain potential? Potential to expand operations and amenities like lodging, private residences and additional terrain? Potential to draw in tourists and visitors increasing the "multiplier" effect of these visitors and their dollars have on the local economy?

If ORDA can run at the very least at a breakeven they should be seen as a net positive for the state at large. Real estate has long been the viable profit play for private ski areas, ORDA can keep their noses out of real estate and instead be an anchor for their communities to draw people in to spend their money with local service providers. The challenging bit is each of the three mountains have very different host communities influenced by proximity to major population centers and other factors. Lake Placid clearly has seen the greatest economic impact when compared to North Creek and Pine Hill. That said, there is also a valid argument that whats happened in Placid has driven up real estate costs and displaced locals. I don't know where any of this is really going but rural economic development is a tricky puzzle to piece together and Empire State Development will always be there to pull the strings even if ORDA is not. I would recommend looking into David A. Banks from SUNY Albany if this stuff interests you, he's got his finger on the pulse and brings a different perspective to economic development in the state particularly around the capitol region.

Mountain potential: changes that could be made, that haven't been made yet? Potential for good or bad.

I really didn't name this thread properly, so I changed it.

Back