Palisades MTB Plug

My uncle was a ranger in Harriman, his family lived in a stone house right on 7 Lakes drive. He has since retired but his son has taken his position or that’s how it has worked out I believe. I’ve always been under the impression that the land managers have always been anti-mountain biking for what ever reasons.

The weekend crowding has them busy enough no doubt and adding more conflict issues among trail users doesn’t sound attractive. I get that. There’s plenty of area for more trails or ones for more specific use but as Jason mentioned, there’s not really a need with so much available outside of the park.

I was thinking about going over to Blauvelt this afternoon/evening to take a ride. Does anyone know if the trail conditions there are OK for riding or is it too wet right now?

Also, I've never ridden there, so any suggestions for a relative newbie to MTB would be appreciated.

I was thinking about going over to Blauvelt this afternoon/evening to take a ride. Does anyone know if the trail conditions there are OK for riding or is it too wet right now?

Also, I've never ridden there, so any suggestions for a relative newbie to MTB would be appreciated.
Blauvelt should be ok, I was out yesterday self shuttling laps on red trail using the park road. Anything on the western slope of the Palisades is super hit or miss this time of year just due to the geology and topography. Lots of ground water either just sits and pools or runs from further up the hill into low lying depressions. Red trail is almost always dry due to how its situated on the ridge, but trails like swamp thing, barney rubble, antler creek all have problem areas this time of year. \

Blauvelt isn't great for beginners but nothing in this area really is.

Blauvelt should be ok, I was out yesterday self shuttling laps on red trail using the park road. Anything on the western slope of the Palisades is super hit or miss this time of year just due to the geology and topography. Lots of ground water either just sits and pools or runs from further up the hill into low lying depressions. Red trail is almost always dry due to how its situated on the ridge, but trails like swamp thing, barney rubble, antler creek all have problem areas this time of year. \

Blauvelt isn't great for beginners but nothing in this area really is.
If I had a stinking bike I would show you around
I think blauvelt is ok for beginners. just walk a couple of the sketchy bridges

All of the "beginner friendly technical bypasses" that have been forming suggest otherwise...

And sorry about the bike, it might be a while longer.

Too bad about that ... Maybe another time?

As I mentioned, I'm relatively new to it, but I'm looking to do a lot more this year.
I'm thinking I may just do the same thing Low Angle Life mentioned above ... just ride the Red Trail out and back and see how it goes. From what I can see on the map, it looks like I can park on Bradley Hill Road right at the Red Trail trailhead ... Am I correct about that?

I've ridden the Red Back Trail/Hutchinson Loop in Tuxedo ... How does Blauvelt compare with that?

If you can ride hutch/redback you can ride everything in Blauvelt no issue. Blauvelt is primarily old hiking trails vs. purpose built at Sterling. When I do my "downhill" laps on red trail I usually park at the bottom of the trail where it spills out onto Bradley right across from white trail, you can also park at the top. Red is a pretty easy trail but you can get cooking going down which makes it very enjoyable for former racer boys like myself. Kinda sucks to pedal up it, but if it wasn't clear from above, I get my kicks going down.

When I do my "downhill" laps on red trail I usually park at the bottom of the trail where it spills out onto Bradley right across from white trail, you can also park at the top. Red is a pretty easy trail but you can get cooking going down which makes it very enjoyable for former racer boys like myself. Kinda sucks to pedal up it, but if it wasn't clear from above, I get my kicks going down.
Thanks for the info! This is what I did, and yes ... it definitely sucked going up!!! I knew I was really out of shape ... now I know how REALLY bad it is!! Oh well ... something to work on.

That was definitely not a difficult trail, though I go pretty slow down hill ... I have neither the skills nor the confidence to go too fast!

Back