Palisades MTB Plug

Low Angle Life

Seeing as the warm weather probably has many of you thinking about your mountain bikes, I want to make a plug for a mountain bike advocacy group I serve on the boards of. Palisades MTB is a group of cycling enthusiasts with our sights set on establishing spectacular mountain bike trails in the Palisades Region. Mountain biking is currently not legally available in the vast majority of beautiful parks in Orange, Rockland and Bergen Counties.

We've got some big things in the works for 2021 including planned trail expansion at Sterling Forest into Mckeegs Meadow via the Red Back Trail. If you frequent Sterling, Blauvelt or Alpine (shhh), please consider becoming a member and supporting the cause. Our trails have seen an unprecedented increase in use this past year fueled by the Covid bike boom and it is putting a strain on trail conditions and land managers. You can check out a recent new letter sent out to members a few days ago to see what we are up to. Apologies in advanced if the formatting did not transfer over, I only know how to copy paste out of my gmail.

f70faa29-38b5-4a9f-b807-aea81e744553.png
2021 PROJECTS
New trails in Sterling Forest

The Sterling Forest master plan includes over 20 miles of approved multi-use trails. The Red Back / Hutchinson / Munsee-Eagle loop has been a popular destination ride since it opened in October 2018. The next phase of work will greatly increase the current mileage and will make Sterling Forest the go-to park for epic rides in our region. Construction has already started to add McKeag's Meadows and Augusta Mine trails to the existing loop, and there is an approved plan to upgrade the Red Back trail between McKeag's Meadows and the top of the ridgeline to make it rideable both uphill and downhill.

Construction on the new Sterling trails has been slowed by Covid restrictions on the size of volunteer work crews. To speed construction, Palisades MTB will apply for permission to bring in a professional trail building contractor with specialized equipment to rough out difficult sections of the approved trail route. PTMB is working with New York State Parks, the PIPC, and with the New York / New Jersey Trail Conference to get permission to start work this season. We will need to raise money from grants and contributions to hire the contractor. Every penny we raise will go towards trail construction.

Trail upgrades in Blauvelt State Park

PMTB completed two major projects in Blauvelt in 2020: building the Swamp Thing bridge and spreading 15 tons of crushed stone to fix a muddy multi-use section of the Long Path where it crosses Marsico Court in Blauvelt. In the 2021 season, we have approval to replace the rotting Antler Creek log bridge with a bridge made of pressure-treated lumber and approaches armored with stone slabs split from quarried blocks near the bridge site. We will also rock armor the approach to a muddy log bridge in Bradley Cove.

The Blauvelt trail work has been done with approval from the Park manager and to demonstrate that bikers can be good stewards of the multi-use trails. Once we complete the Antler Creek bridge replacement, we will apply for permission to build additional trails at Blauvelt.

Alpine Scout Camp

We have approval for following projects at Alpine Scout Camp:
  • Buckhorn Campground bypass. ~1,000’ segment to move the Red Trail away from campground facilities and closer to the Dwarskill. In addition, realign the cut through from Red Trail around the campground to the camp road. Add fencing around the campground to keep riders from cutting through the campsites while Scouts are present.
  • Minor improvements to the Red Trail between the Dwarskill bridge and Buckhorn campground.
  • Safety railing on the Dwarskill bridge in addition to re-fortifying the decking.
  • Minor bridgework along the Red Trail towards Rockleigh.
  • A beginner skills course near camp entrance. This is a Palisades Cyclones (NICA) project with some overlap with PMTB volunteers. This initially be a closed course for Scouts and NICA with the intention to eventually allow public usage.
Cheesecote Mountain

We submitted a proposal for a 1.4-mile beginner loop at Cheesecote Mountain Park in the Town of Haverstraw and expect to get approval from the Town government. The town is currently reviewing the proposal.
We need your support and membership to continue our work. Please consider renewing, donating, or joining in 2021.
28ce99b5-1c19-440f-bf8f-1e1c2cd56c16.jpg
dark-link-96.png
dark-instagram-96.png
dark-forwardtofriend-96.png
dark-facebook-96.png
Copyright © 2021, Palisadesmtb.org, All rights reserved.
PALISADES MTB

Our mailing address is:
info@palisadesmtb.org

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Looks cool, good luck with your projects. When replacing the Antler Creek bridge and campground fence, you should consider using Black Locust instead of pressure treated. It’s a local resource that lasts much longer. I have a sawmill and can custom cut anything to size. We helped supply material for a recent bridge in Minnewaska Park. Let me know if I can help.

Seeing as the warm weather probably has many of you thinking about your mountain bikes, I want to make a plug for a mountain bike advocacy group I serve on the boards of. Palisades MTB is a group of cycling enthusiasts with our sights set on establishing spectacular mountain bike trails in the Palisades Region. Mountain biking is currently not legally available in the vast majority of beautiful parks in Orange, Rockland and Bergen Counties.

We've got some big things in the works for 2021 including planned trail expansion at Sterling Forest into Mckeegs Meadow via the Red Back Trail. If you frequent Sterling, Blauvelt or Alpine (shhh), please consider becoming a member and supporting the cause. Our trails have seen an unprecedented increase in use this past year fueled by the Covid bike boom and it is putting a strain on trail conditions and land managers. You can check out a recent new letter sent out to members a few days ago to see what we are up to. Apologies in advanced if the formatting did not transfer over, I only know how to copy paste out of my gmail.

f70faa29-38b5-4a9f-b807-aea81e744553.png
2021 PROJECTS
New trails in Sterling Forest

The Sterling Forest master plan includes over 20 miles of approved multi-use trails. The Red Back / Hutchinson / Munsee-Eagle loop has been a popular destination ride since it opened in October 2018. The next phase of work will greatly increase the current mileage and will make Sterling Forest the go-to park for epic rides in our region. Construction has already started to add McKeag's Meadows and Augusta Mine trails to the existing loop, and there is an approved plan to upgrade the Red Back trail between McKeag's Meadows and the top of the ridgeline to make it rideable both uphill and downhill.

Construction on the new Sterling trails has been slowed by Covid restrictions on the size of volunteer work crews. To speed construction, Palisades MTB will apply for permission to bring in a professional trail building contractor with specialized equipment to rough out difficult sections of the approved trail route. PTMB is working with New York State Parks, the PIPC, and with the New York / New Jersey Trail Conference to get permission to start work this season. We will need to raise money from grants and contributions to hire the contractor. Every penny we raise will go towards trail construction.

Trail upgrades in Blauvelt State Park

PMTB completed two major projects in Blauvelt in 2020: building the Swamp Thing bridge and spreading 15 tons of crushed stone to fix a muddy multi-use section of the Long Path where it crosses Marsico Court in Blauvelt. In the 2021 season, we have approval to replace the rotting Antler Creek log bridge with a bridge made of pressure-treated lumber and approaches armored with stone slabs split from quarried blocks near the bridge site. We will also rock armor the approach to a muddy log bridge in Bradley Cove.

The Blauvelt trail work has been done with approval from the Park manager and to demonstrate that bikers can be good stewards of the multi-use trails. Once we complete the Antler Creek bridge replacement, we will apply for permission to build additional trails at Blauvelt.

Alpine Scout Camp

We have approval for following projects at Alpine Scout Camp:
  • Buckhorn Campground bypass. ~1,000’ segment to move the Red Trail away from campground facilities and closer to the Dwarskill. In addition, realign the cut through from Red Trail around the campground to the camp road. Add fencing around the campground to keep riders from cutting through the campsites while Scouts are present.
  • Minor improvements to the Red Trail between the Dwarskill bridge and Buckhorn campground.
  • Safety railing on the Dwarskill bridge in addition to re-fortifying the decking.
  • Minor bridgework along the Red Trail towards Rockleigh.
  • A beginner skills course near camp entrance. This is a Palisades Cyclones (NICA) project with some overlap with PMTB volunteers. This initially be a closed course for Scouts and NICA with the intention to eventually allow public usage.
Cheesecote Mountain

We submitted a proposal for a 1.4-mile beginner loop at Cheesecote Mountain Park in the Town of Haverstraw and expect to get approval from the Town government. The town is currently reviewing the proposal.
We need your support and membership to continue our work. Please consider renewing, donating, or joining in 2021.
28ce99b5-1c19-440f-bf8f-1e1c2cd56c16.jpg

dark-link-96.png
dark-instagram-96.png
dark-forwardtofriend-96.png
dark-facebook-96.png

Copyright © 2021, Palisadesmtb.org, All rights reserved.
PALISADES MTB

Our mailing address is:
info@palisadesmtb.org

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.
Some very cool projects
I am a member too
Looking forward to the season

Looks cool, good luck with your projects. When replacing the Antler Creek bridge and campground fence, you should consider using Black Locust instead of pressure treated. It’s a local resource that lasts much longer. I have a sawmill and can custom cut anything to size. We helped supply material for a recent bridge in Minnewaska Park. Let me know if I can help.
Those janky bridges add charm to the blauvelt ride
The old swamp thing bridge was the joint ?

We've been using lumber donations, been very fortunate to have a connection to someone with a near unlimited supply of pressure treated scrap. Sure its not as pretty as black locust but free is good and knowing we are keeping a bunch of scrap out of a burn pile or landfill feels good. We have worked with some land managers that have expressed a desire to keep things more natural, in those instances I do believe we will opt for locust when available. There is just a whole lot of bridgework necessary in our area and lumber just keeps getting more expensive. Are you using an Alaska mill or do you have a real deal set up?

Those janky bridges add charm to the blauvelt ride
The old swamp thing bridge was the joint ?
Thank you for your membership, it goes a long way. As for the janky log bridges, sure they have some character but are definitely all on their last legs. Have you had an opportunity to ride the new bridge work?

Thank you for your membership, it goes a long way. As for the janky log bridges, sure they have some character but are definitely all on their last legs. Have you had an opportunity to ride the new bridge work?
Yep
I have been riding blauvelt since the late 90’s I live in new city.
We have pieced together a sweet downhill from the top road down Barney rubble
Lots of potential back there
Thanks again for all the great work

I have two Alaskans and a Woodmizer LT35. I would still use Locust for anything that has ground contact over the treated. Depending on the need I can donate as well. I have a massive pile of slab sides and slash that is up for grabs too.

I have two Alaskans and a Woodmizer LT35. I would still use Locust for anything that has ground contact over the treated. Depending on the need I can donate as well. I have a massive pile of slab sides and slash that is up for grabs too.
Okay now we are talking... we always have a need for 2x6 and stringers. I certainly don't want to create more work for you but if you have boards already milled I've got a crew ready and willing to pick it up. If having exact spec's for what we might need is helpful I am sure I could get em.

The only lumber that is already milled is in the discard pile that will end up getting burned in our evaporator. I keep everything in log form until it’s ready to be dimensioned.

Back