NYS Resident Discount at ORDA Mountains

What if you don't live in NYS but you still pay NYS taxes? Do we get a discount as well? While we are at it shouldn't my kids be eligible for in-state tuition rates at SUNY colleges?
Stay in NYS for a year and it can be dang free.
To be eligible, you must:
  • Be a NY State resident and live in the State for at least 12 continuous months before the term you want to receive the award
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Enroll at a 2-year or 4-year CUNY or SUNY college
  • Be pursuing an associate’s or bachelor’s degree
  • Attend school full time
  • Earn $125,000 or less (household federal adjusted gross income)
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application
Additional eligibility requirements apply.

What if you don't live in NYS but you still pay NYS taxes? Do we get a discount as well? While we are at it shouldn't my kids be eligible for in-state tuition rates at SUNY colleges?
If you live in NJ, the SUNYs (except Buffalo,Binghampton and Stony Brook) will match Rutgers tuition amount.
Unfortunately, some of the SUNYs are having financial difficulties.

The good news is the Buffalo Bills billionaire owners (worth $8 BILLION) are getting $850,000,000 from NYS and NYS local sources to build a new stadium.
"Terry Pegula, a 71-year-old fracking tycoon who also owns the Buffalo Sabres NHL franchise with his wife, Kim, is worth almost $8bn, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. The Pegulas acquired the Bills for a then-NFL record $1.4bn in 2014, outbidding Donald Trump and Jon Bon Jovi. The team is now valued at $3.4bn by Forbes, with a new home certain to enhance its worth."

Stay in NYS for a year and it can be dang free.
To be eligible, you must:
  • Be a NY State resident and live in the State for at least 12 continuous months before the term you want to receive the award
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Enroll at a 2-year or 4-year CUNY or SUNY college
  • Be pursuing an associate’s or bachelor’s degree
  • Attend school full time
  • Earn $125,000 or less (household federal adjusted gross income)
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application
Additional eligibility requirements apply.
Different SUNYs have different ideas about defining a NYS resident. If you are still on a parent tax return and your parent moves to NYS, some of the SUNYs will immediately consider you a resident. If you are independent from your parent, then you might have to wait for a year.

The idea of making person wait a year for NYS residence for instate SUNY rates is a weird idea. In theory, that means for one year you are not the resident of any state. For example, if I move from NJ to NYS, my new NYS address will prevent me from getting in state rates at the NJ state colleges and I will not be able to get NYS rates at the SUNYs. It is not like I can avoid paying NYS taxes for 1 year if I move to NYS or avoid being subject to NYS penalties if I do not change my driver license.

I get what the state is trying to do, but it can make a resident stateless when it comes to paying for state colleges.

Different SUNYs have different ideas about defining a NYS resident...
I get what the state is trying to do, but it can make a resident stateless when it comes to paying for state colleges.
Then there’s the whole “eligible non-citizen” thingy 🍺.

I think seniors (me!) should get free back massages.

Come on Milo, if you can ski you can walk from Lot Z right?

I agree with you on the tourism thing.

SKI3 is a relatively good deal IMO.

I had the unlimited Belle only pass last year. Skied 40 days - works out to be about $18 per day, not bad.

Do you collect a paycheck here, or do you mean paying property/school taxes?

Another thought I had was that if there were a slightly lower price, it would help me pull the trigger on the $300 local bump pass that we end up at to get quick turns. Last year was the first year I didn’t, and it definitely kept me from going there as much with the boys.

Last edited:
Sales tax is the second-highest component of tax revenue in NY (higher than corporate and property taxes combined). You certainly don't have to live in NY to pay that.
Yes, but you probably have to be a resident or physically be in the state to pay this tax.

Last edited:
Back