NY Snowmobile Conditions

Obstruction groups can suck it
I hear ya’ Camp. No one likes things taken away from them. The animals have definitely become used to seeing people. Lots of them. I rode sleds in Yellowstone before and after the restrictions. Before it was nutty and I definitely saw animals harassed. Personally I think it is a much better experience now that it is limited. Lots of sledding all over the surrounding National Forest where you can still let it rip wherever, whenever. Outside of West Yellowstone and Cooke City there is vast amounts of riding. In the Park the bison take to the roads to escape the deep snowpack while they try to migrate to their winter range. Unfortunately for them the obstruction groups are hunters, ranchers and farmers and they are systematically slaughtered by the Montana Department of Livestock. They really never should have been introduced up there in the first place as that is not their native range. Nonetheless, the article stated correctly that snowmobiles were never banned. Yellowstone is an amazing place to visit in winter and yes, you can still see it from a sled. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Where is that? 28 days. Boy things have changed for you
Just north of Alder Creek, right off of 28. It's in a perfect spot for us. Right on the edge of Tug, easy ride to Old Forge and Speculator. We spent a week there last year and loved it. It's right on the trail, half a block from the Forestport Diner, and 2 blocks from Scooters (great redneck joint). It's only costing us 50 bucks per man (4 of us) to have the place for the entire month vs. 1 week. Best part is it's only 1hr 20 minute drive from home. I'll spend my normal week of riding up there plus at least 2 other weekends. Totally pysched.
There's a saying in Forestport ------ "No law north of Remsen" ----- they live by it, and take care of trouble in their own way

Isn't Cooke City the mecca of riding out there? High marking sounds/looks like insanity to me.
It’s known as the coolest small town in America and also the Sledneck Capital of the World. I think you might like it. The high country is where the insanity plays out but the area holds plenty of mellow opportunities as well. You can start on the Bannon trail from Silver Gate, known as America’s Swiss Alps, at the entrance to Yellowstone and ride all the way up the Beartooth Highway to just shy of 11,000ft. Old gold mining roads leading to scenic treasures beg to be explored. Lots of snow, lots of avalanches and one of the best places in the country for sled assisted skiing. Best have your shit together, the nearest hospital is over 4 hours away.

Just north of Alder Creek, right off of 28. It's in a perfect spot for us. Right on the edge of Tug, easy ride to Old Forge and Speculator. Totally pysched.
There's a saying in Forestport ------ "No law north of Remsen" ----- they live by it, and take care of trouble in their own way
There ain’t much of nothin but trees, streams and lakes north of Remsen.
Makes it nice.
Have fun in February. Better bundle up and pack some warm linens.

Back