My Rivian 'First Mile' Drive Review

Shit
That stinks Dom. I know how pumped up you are to get this.
Good things come to those who wait?
Thanks Camp! I guess so? My whole fiscal approach since pre-working years was deferred gratification :) I am (attempting to) keep it in perspective. They announced the 75k pricing in 2018 which if memory serves was pre-intlation. 91 (if I drop white interior) -7 (tax rebate) is 84k. Still a lot for a vehicle.

But I fully recognize that this is the definition of a first world 'problem' especially with everything we all have seen for the past few years. I imagine other than wanting more comfortable seats and a third row I could get by on my CRV for another 5 years.

The bigger issue to me is what is Rivian going to do to its customers over time. They keep saying these vehicles are their handshake with the world, but I have to believe there was a better way to go about these price increases. They could have phased in over time, done pre-IPO, or raised price pro rata based on when you ordered (or other things).

I also realize the price increase is probably in the range or less than dealer markups.

Camp separately I think you had mentioned that you know of dealers who are not charging above MSRP. If I don't get the R I would be perfectly happy ordering a Highlander and waiting for the build if you could point me to any Toyota dealers you know of that are not charging way above MRSP like they are on LI. I don't even know that I'd care about a test drive - I know Toyota quality from my inlaws' vehicles.

The bigger issue to me is what is Rivian going to do to its customers over time.
This has been my concern with them ever since their launch. Over promise and under deliver seems to be a big theme for them. I'm sure you aren't the only one loosing interest/faith in them.
Camp separately I think you had mentioned that you know of dealers who are not charging above MSRP. If I don't get the R I would be perfectly happy ordering a Highlander and waiting for the build if you could point me to any Toyota dealers you know of that are not charging way above MRSP like they are on LI. I don't even know that I'd care about a test drive - I know Toyota quality from my inlaws' vehicles.
I would look online at Toyota dealerships from Binghamton and north. Getting out of that metro market is key.

This has been my concern with them ever since their launch. Over promise and under deliver seems to be a big theme for them. I'm sure you aren't the only one loosing interest/faith in them.

I would look online at Toyota dealerships from Binghamton and north. Getting out of that metro market is key.

Dom : i hear you k i know you are wise enough to NOT make annemotional decision . THat R pricing is outrageous . Price/ value/ pay back analysis considered .Look at the Toyota they stand behind their products and have for decades

I like Camp feel that when a Company ( in this case the Rivian ) show you WHO they are with pricing gamesmanship , BELIEVE them . My two cents

Is it possible to get your deposit back Don? Or is that just gone?
Yes. It is a fully refundable deposit. If it does not come back to the card you put it on in x days you are supposed to contact them.

I think I am not going to take any immediate steps or cancel this until i have another car lined up.

I am going to post the really sad video by some (former?) Rivian fanboys where they are basically crying during the video. They have a fairly widely watched youtube channel (and are nice guys - I know a friend of theirs).

Back