My Rivian 'First Mile' Drive Review

Cool, gotta check it out.

Here is the first 'independent' review I have seen, from Edmonds (a competitor of one of the investors in Rivian, Cox).

The interesting thing is on the range test, they got a few miles BETTER than EPA (317 vs. 314 I think); when they did the same range test on a Y rated at 326 miles, they got 317 as noted in the video.

Also, this was with the 21 inch wheels AND the offroad package, which provides more protection for the underbody for things like rock crawling.

Here is the first 'independent' review I have seen, from Edmonds (a competitor of one of the investors in Rivian, Cox).
Found that video tonight. Haven't finished watching it yet. They had the R1T for two days.

The interesting thing is on the range test, they got a few miles BETTER than EPA (317 vs. 314 I think); when they did the same range test on a Y rated at 326 miles, they got 317 as noted in the video.
I think I heard comments in some video about the EPA range being based on having 1000 lbs loaded into the bed.

The number of YouTube videos about the R1T clearly exploded in the last month or two. I'm not interested in buying one, but the way Rivian is doing their marketing is fascinating.

Here is a video that from Moab.

There were eight trucks at the Rivian camp at Breckenridge. The invited drivers flew into Denver. They spent a night in Denver and then headed to the mountain first thing the next morning. The entire event spanned three days. Since the guys had different backgrounds and interests, the video reviews differ in emphasis. While there is some marketing video from Rivian in common, there are tidbits that are unique. My sense is that while everyone who was invited is interested in EV, some people have owned a Tesla for a long time while others go off-roading often. These are not people looking for a work truck.

One of the big dudes got inside the Gear Tunnel and the Frunk. He was having a lot of fun.

Last edited:
The man who drove the blue R1T in the last video I posted ended up being the first person to change a tire, using the full-size spare. He popped a front tire on a big sharp rock. The hit was caught by the camera on the truck.

Even after watching the other videos by people invited to the 3-day Rivian event at Breckenridge, I still learned a few things in this video. He brought along a drone. He took some pics when the group was parked at the top of the peak. The first ten minutes is mostly off-road driving.

The man who drove the blue R1T in the last video I posted ended up being the first person to change a tire, using the full-size spare. He popped a front tire on a big sharp rock. The hit was caught by the camera on the truck.

Even after watching the other videos by people invited to the 3-day Rivian event at Breckenridge, I still learned a few things in this video. He brought along a drone. He took some pics when the group was parked at the top of the peak. The first ten minutes is mostly off-road driving.

I love it Marz. Check out the Edmonds review.

The IPO popped today. I don't own any individual stocks and i cannot because of work restrictions, but if I could, I would have bought some (and could have gotten an allocation as a preorder holder).

Much more important than the pop is that they are a viable company long term. Say what you want but the liquidity that comes with the IPO will make that more plausible.

Here's a demo of the Gear Tunnel Shuttle that hosts the camp kitchen modules. The cooking for the Breck event was done on R1T kitchen modules.

The IPO popped today. I don't own any individual stocks and i cannot because of work restrictions, but if I could, I would have bought some (and could have gotten an allocation as a preorder holder).

Much more important than the pop is that they are a viable company long term. Say what you want but the liquidity that comes with the IPO will make that more plausible.
Been showing some of the videos to my husband. He's the stock investor in our house. :)

Back