My Rivian 'First Mile' Drive Review

Picked up a few other tidbits in this overview. He had one to play with for 4 hours in Brooklyn.

So when are you putting a deposit in :D
Rivian stock, maybe. Buying a R1T, not likely. In a few years, I'll think about a R1S.

I'm not ready for full EV yet. A PHEV is a better fit given that I don't do off-road but I do quite a few trips that include days driving 500+ miles. Essentially when I'm home, I use the RAV4 Prime as an EV. While traveling, I'm driving a hybrid with a range of almost 500 miles so one gas stop per day is all that's required.

Aha! Found a review from the Breck event that mentions what they did on the highways. They drove 105 miles. Some on I-70 but also miles on 2-lane mountain roads. This man owns a Tesla Model 3.

@DomB : getting any closer to a delivery date for your R1T?

Great question! They say I will get in May to June . . . . But I have some really negative news. Rivian kept its first delivered promise to me: a price increase. The model was already an insane luxury/economically wasteful at 75k. They just raised the price on everyone except those who have gotten to the point of near delivery by over 20%. My build now is 93k.

They promise they kept was an email blast saying they were raising prices and they would email me again when I would see the new price. I know it is a for profit company, but even when Tesla raises prices it is on new orders. My family has to decide if we will cancel or not.

I had priced out a highlander hybrid and with dealer adjustment (600 mi range btw) it was about 65k. The Rivian seemed like a better deal at 75k. Very hard to argue even with the dealer markups that the Rivian is worth an extra 28k. And I don't know if it is now outside the 7,500 tax credit.

On the chance I keep the Rivian res and get to delivery, I don't know that I can ever plug them. And if they are doing this, what are they going to do in the future?

And I don't know if it is now outside the 7,500 tax credit.
The count for the $7500 tax credit is the first 200,000 vehicles, so I would think that still applies.

But I have some really negative news. Rivian kept its first delivered promise to me: a price increase. The model was already an insane luxury/economically wasteful at 75k. They just raised the price on everyone except those who have gotten to the point of near delivery by over 20%. My build now is 93k.
That's a huge increase!

My husband decided to put money down on another RAV4 Prime. The XSE model this time. After some thought, we're sticking with the 3.3 kW onboard charger instead of the 6.6 kW. For how we handle charging when at home, it doesn't really make that much difference. Not for 40 miles of EV max.

We're working with the same NY Toyota dealership that seems to get a fair number of Prime deliveries. The idea is that our daughter gets to take over the 2021 RAV4 Prime SE once the new XSE is in our hands.

I'm sorry to hear that, Dom. Have you looked at the Ford or GM options? Or are they even further out still? I haven't been following closely enough.

I'm sorry to hear that, Dom. Have you looked at the Ford or GM options? Or are they even further out still? I haven't been following closely enough.
Thanks. I have a bit. I have a res on the F150 Lightening but we really want a third row more than anything. And F150 actually is about on par with Rivian's NEW pricing for comped specs.

My working hypothesis now is to get an XLE Highlander Hybrid (smaller wheels, larger tires) around 50k pre market adjustment and get a 2 inch spacer lift (parts and installation 2k?) to get the additional clearance to take her on the beach.

We are going to wait a little before making any decisions. If we rent a ski cabin again next year we would like something bigger and more comfortable than our 11 year old CRV. The savings versus a Rivian would pay for about 4-5 years of ski cabin rental, which is probably when my kids will be on to bigger and better things anyway.

Back