Market Philosophy

I could be convinced that the top tier of financial managers are worth the money they charge. But most people who'll ever read this can't afford that person, and I certainly can't. 95% of financial managers are worse than the index, over time. It's a little crazy to me that they still exist in an age of AI.
Can't convince me.

The conundrum of the market:

Never pay a stock picker as the TSM beats the vast majority of stock pickers, over time.

But without stock pickers, the market ceases to function.

Reactions: MC2
Can't convince me.

Never pay a stock picker as the TSM beats the vast majority of stock pickers, over time.

Great point. I believe toward the end of his life, Bogle / father of modern index investing actually came out and admitted this eventually could be an issue, but index investing would need to be a really big piece of the market. I don't remember the point at which he thought it could happen vs. where we are now. Index investing has exploded in the past (20? 30?) years.

A quick google gives me a range on the percentage of total market held in index funds, showed me two results, one was 18% and the other was about 50%. What's the real number?

If it's really 18% my guess is no worries, for a while.

As an individual, what do you do? Not sure it's logical for me personally not to hold index funds, just because of a potential market malfunction.

Can't convince me.

Thinking about this, the market DEPENDS on or REQUIRES the hubris :) of the people who think they can be consistently be among the 5%. The market demands their existence.

A quick google gives me a range on the percentage of total market held in index funds, showed me two results, one was 18% and the other was about 50%. What's the real number?

If it's really 18% my guess is no worries, for a while.

As an individual, what do you do? Not sure it's logical for me personally not to hold index funds, just because of a potential market malfunction.
Here's another take on it - the issue that index funds can vote their shares at annual meetings --- ie we have to trust them to vote correctly/they have a lot of power. I never really thought about that . . . .

I don't really care about this and won't respond to it (financially) in any way, but I thought it was interesting.

I don't really care about this and won't respond to it (financially) in any way, but I thought it was interesting.

Interesting observation - but coming out of a year long pandemic might skew the hypothesis.

I just clicked on some click baity article about how the market was down 1000. The article was a few hours old so I decided to check the actual number. It was up like 100 or something at close.

What happened?

I just clicked on some click baity article about how the market was down 1000. The article was a few hours old so I decided to check the actual number. It was up like 100 or something at close.

What happened?
There’s some blah blah blah but here ya go.

What happened?
Either a buy-the-dip rally or a dead cat bounce… depending on your opinion of where the market is headed.

I think there is a lot of money on the sidelines and a lot of people ready to buy things (including stocks) when they believe that they are getting a bargain. (And I think stocks are a bargain right now…. Especially if corporate tax rates remain low).

Back