Market Philosophy

As far as market prognosticating goes , Two truisms: the future ain't what it used to be and opinions are like well ya know

Once again, a new "asset class" that I never took the time to understand, has come and gone:

Is it really digital currency really gone? Somehow I doubt it.

Anyone have any insight or opinion on the future?
Somebody made a movie.
There will be a dang Hollywood show aboutit too but they aren’t as good or as fast.

So this chart is interesting. And tricky, I think.

Note that the classes probably bleed into each other - I own almost all my investments through mutual funds, so I would be in the 22% bucket, even though as a matter of common sense, I should be in the household bucket. Similar point for ETFs, as those are just like mutual funds except they can get redeemed in a market setting (and don't have to have their price directly tie to NAV - usually there is a small spread). I just don't do mutual funds because I don't like the idea of a spread between NAV (value) and trading price. In panicky times, ETFs can trade below their NAV. In euphoric times, above.

Morningstar is a fun tool, if you like investing.

This is a Morningstar approximation of the total size and makeup of the (US) stock market:

total stock market

The largest companies make up 15+31+27% (a lot) of the total US market. 73% in fact. Medium size companies are 19% and small companies are 9%. These companies are all generally "large" as they are publicly traded. "Medium" and "small" are only relative to "large."

Stocks are also divided in Growth, Core and Value categories. What follows is a big oversimplification.

Generally speaking companies that are expected to become more valuable in the future (stock price expected to rise) are on the right side of the nine boxes (Growth stocks).

Stocks on the left side (Value stocks) are not expected to rise in price, but are more likely to pay dividends. Core stocks are judged to be somewhere in the middle.

So each kind of stock offers a different reason to buy it.

Generally, if you believe in diversification, you should probably have something in each box. Growth and Value, and Large and Small stocks react differently under different market conditions. In reality if your investments are in FUNDS you probably have something in each box anyway.

In my (admittedly simple) mind there are three kinds of individual investors:

1 - Stock pickers: I can beat the market, or at least do just as well, after costs.

2 - Total stock marketers: If I buy the total stock market (like the boxes above) I'll do as well as the market, minus costs. I can get my cost down very low if I choose Vanguard or Fidelity, or something similar. Over the long haul the market returns maybe ~8%, and I'll get close that, which is good enough. If I start saving early in life and never stop.

3 - Value slanted TSMer's: Over the years I have found a certain group of investors that generally follow a Total Stock Market philosophy, EXCEPT that they try to counteract the TSM's tendency to favor LARGE GROWTH stocks. Some of these people overweight VALUE stocks and some overweight SMALL CAP VALUE.

In general Small Cap Value stocks are MORE VOLATILE/risky then the market as a whole. More upside and down.

See this fund comparison:

Small Cap Value Index vs TSM

Total Stock Market (BLUE) vs Small Cap Value Index (RED) 20+ years

Of course I'm think about this now because value has been on a tear for 3 months, and really since the market started to recover from the pandemic. So now is maybe not the best time to add value if you are thinking of starting now.

I've always had a bit of a small cap value bias compared the total stock market. But it's not that much:

9 boxes

Anyone else think about this stuff? What kind of investor are you? Do you fit into any of my 3 categories?

Last edited:
Morningstar is a fun tool, if you like investing.

This is a Morningstar approximation of the total size and makeup of the (US) stock market:

View attachment 16626

The largest companies make up 15+31+27% (a lot) of the total US market. 73% in fact. Medium size companies are 19% and small companies are 9%. These companies are all generally "large" as they are publicly traded. "Medium" and "small" are only relative to "large."

Stocks are also divided in Growth, Core and Value categories. What follows is a big oversimplification.

Generally speaking companies that are expected to become more valuable in the future (stock price expected to rise) are on the right side of the nine boxes (Growth stocks).

Stocks on the left side (Value stocks) are not expected to rise in price, but are more likely to pay dividends. Core stocks are judged to be somewhere in the middle.

So each kind of stock offers a different reason to buy it.

Generally, if you believe in diversification, you should probably have something in each box. Growth and Value, and Large and Small stocks react differently under different market conditions. In reality if your investments are in FUNDS you probably have something in each box anyway.

In my (admittedly simple) mind there are three kinds of individual investors:

1 - Stock pickers: I can beat the market, or at least do just as well, after costs.

2 - Total stock marketers: If I buy the total stock market (like the boxes above) I'll do as well as the market, minus costs. I can get my cost down very low if I choose Vanguard or Fidelity, or something similar. Over the long haul the market returns maybe ~8%, and I'll get close that, which is good enough. If I start saving early in life and never stop.

3 - Value slanted TSMer's: Over the years I have found a certain group of investors that generally follow a Total Stock Market philosophy, EXCEPT that they try to counteract the TSM's tendency to favor LARGE GROWTH stocks. Some of these people overweight VALUE stocks and some overweight SMALL CAP VALUE.

In general Small Cap Value stocks are MORE VOLATILE/risky then the market as a whole. More upside and down.

See this fund comparison:

View attachment 16627
Total Stock Market (BLUE) vs Small Cap Value Index (RED) 20+ years

Of course I'm think about this now because value has been on a tear for 3 months, and really since the market started to recover from the pandemic. So now is maybe not the best time to add value if you are thinking of starting now.

I've always had a bit of a small cap value bias compared the total stock market. But it's not that much:

View attachment 16630

Anyone else think about this stuff? What kind of investor are you? Do you fit into any of my 3 categories?
I am a slight twist on this against value. I do US total market and world total market. But world total market trades at a discount to US total market. I overweight US as a proportion to world because I believe the rules we have in the US allow for more value creation than in Ex US world.

I have the same US overweight. It really makes no sense but I do it. It has certainly worked over the last 20 years.

It used to be US/Rest of World was 50/50. It's more like 60/40 now or maybe more.

Well, best advice I can give is buy individual bonds and ladder them, not bond funds. This has been a really bad year. Good luck!

@Benny Profane moved this over here.

I get this in principle but haven't found an easy way to do this.

This is what I am seeing with my intermediate bond fund. Yes prices are down, almost as much as stocks, over the last 12 months. But the dividends are up (a lot) and as they get re-invested they are buying comparatively more shares.

So like any investment, as long as I don't HAVE to sell NOW, how bad is it, really?

And this is like the worst year ever for bonds right?

Back