In Memory Of...

I log 3.5k miles on the road every year. I've seen some crazy stuff, both intentional and unintentional. Given what I regularly see, I am surprised these stories are not more common than they already are (and they are indeed far too common already).

Two weeks ago, I came across a car accident. The accident did not involve a cyclist. I slowed to a crawl to evaluate that situation. As I passed two local residents, the dude snapped at me "it's because of you that accidents like this happen".

I was too stunned to respond. And just as well. Nothing I could say would change a mindset that believed impatient drivers that do dangerous passes at inappropriate times are not the cause of accidents. Adding alcohol to that type of mindset is a recipe for tragedy.

Bikers stay off the road
Ride rail trails or the woods
Remember trees don’t text or drink.
I’m so sick and sadden by this accident
Roads got paved in the first place because of The League of American Bicyclists in the late 19th century. Your taxes pay for roads whether you drive on them or not. Bicycles BELONG on roads. Yes drivers are ignorant to the laws, even police that are there to keep BOTH motorists and pedestrians safe often carry a bias that favors the driver over cyclist. People are more distracted than ever behind the wheel but I will not concede my right to use my bike on the road. I am now almost exactly a month out from my first automobile-bicycle collision due entirely to some drivers lack of attention while driving. I'm not giving up despite the dangers I experienced first hand. There is power in numbers for cyclist and things will never improve with a Bikers stay off the road mentality, especially amongst other cyclists. Roads are for everyone and bikes are for much more than just recreation.

Roads got paved in the first place because of The League of American Bicyclists in the late 19th century. Your taxes pay for roads whether you drive on them or not. Bicycles BELONG on roads. Yes drivers are ignorant to the laws, even police that are there to keep BOTH motorists and pedestrians safe often carry a bias that favors the driver over cyclist. People are more distracted than ever behind the wheel but I will not concede my right to use my bike on the road. I am now almost exactly a month out from my first automobile-bicycle collision due entirely to some drivers lack of attention while driving. I'm not giving up despite the dangers I experienced first hand. There is power in numbers for cyclist and things will never improve with a Bikers stay off the road mentality, especially amongst other cyclists. Roads are for everyone and bikes are for much more than just recreation.
Cars are getting smarter which is making drivers dumber.

Stay safe!

Cars are getting smarter which is making drivers dumber.

Stay safe!
Many drivers would still be getting dumber even without smarter cars 😉

Yeah @Low Angle Life while bikes are certainly entitled to use the roads it still doesn't make it safe and why I don't. I worry about my friends that road ride. Some of them have the Garmin Vario radar which certainly increases awareness but not sure if it's enough to take evasive action for a poor driver.

About 12 years ago a local school teacher here in town was plowed down and murdered by a drunk, druggie driving an suv while the teacher rode on a Sunday morning with friends. The drunks boyfriend whom was also drunk was on a motorcycle doing wheelies and speeding past the suv at the time. Sickening and tragic. That kind of stuff sticks in my brain.

Vario's are a nice innovation for peace of mind, my 530 sent out messages using it's Incident Detection system during the collision I was involved in and for that I am very grateful. I'm strongly considering adding a 360 camera to my setup when I get my bike replaced and return to riding.

Regardless, the future I am fighting for is one that is less car dependent. Statistically automobile on automobile collisions occur at much higher frequency than bicycle on automobile collisions and yet people still get in there cars daily feeling safe. Roughly one car accident happens ever five seconds in the United State, does that stick in your brain when getting behind the steering wheel? I digress to avoid further topic drift on this thread, just food for thought.

It sticks in my brain when my kids drive. I have put a lot of time and breath into making them good drivers but it’s a multi variable equation

Nightmare fuel. Cars are bullshit.

Back