ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

The only thing that makes an ICE motor complicated started whenever they hooked up sensors to them.
Have you ever seen a Model A motor? or an early 80's carburetor motor with vacuum controlled ignition and EGR? Or an automatic transmission for that matter? But sure, EVs are hopelessly complicated.

mm

No I envision being stuck. Calling them and having someone tell you to unplug it and plug it back in. Lol.
This kept me laughing all day

1. Warranty: consistent with luxury brands, including maximum degradation of battery range of 70% over 8 years/175k miles. So on a full charge in 8 years, they warrant you will still get 219 miles of range with road tires.

Source: https://rivian.com/support/article/what-is-the-warranty-coverage-on-a-new-rivian

2. Cold weather driving: In conserve mode (which I don't know much about) in the EPA tests, there was a 27% hit to range. In normal mode it appears to be 40%. If true, this is pretty good for an EV.

3. Who will rescue me when my weak EV breaks? Rivian Membership appears to cover getting stuck on and offroad; if offroad, they will come extract you. If you drive an run out of range, they will send a charge to you. (I think). Membership seems to be free for a year. I have no idea how much it may cost.

4. Who can I rescue? Check out Motor Trend's series on the cross-continental TransAmerica Offroad trail. In part 2 at 7:27, they come across a stuck Chevy truck and pull it out. (I am winking at you Camp - yes from the soft sands of North Carolina beaches to the rocky gravel of the Oregon coast); R1T can tow 11,000 lbs.

What do the sensors do?
In an ICE the majority of them have to do with emissions. When one goes bad is when your CEL comes on. You can still drive your car when it's on, but if it's flashing that means the computer has sensed a misfire and most cars will go into limp mode. Limp mode will get you off the side of the road but not very fast. At least you aren't stranded.

Back