ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

"Maybe it’s pointless to try to convince skeptics."

No need to. If EVs turn out to be better, most people will switch. We're going to find out soon I think.

If EVs turn out to be better, most people will switch.
Agree
Like when shaped skis first came out, I thought they were stupid as hell and were only for people who didn't know how to ski. I felt that way until I tried a pair. Like skis, I'll most likely be one of the last to move to an EV and I'm ok with that.

Might be sooner for me. Mrs has wanted an electric car forever.

When we bought that land she said "ok if I can have an electric car." I kind of weaseled it back then with a prius, but now she's like "DUDE. FORD has a pickup for god sakes, I can have an electric!"

If they can get the range up (way up) it would be very convenient to charge at home. Start every day full.

Might be sooner for me. Mrs has wanted an electric car forever.

When we bought that land she said "ok if I can have an electric car." I kind of weaseled it back then with a prius, but now she's like "DUDE. FORD has a pickup for god sakes, I can have an electric!"

If they can get the range up (way up) it would be very convenient to charge at home. Start every day full.
Best combination seems to be an all-electric for driving near home plus a hybrid as the second car that can be used for longer trips.

What EV range do you need?

My ski buddy and his wife from Cleveland are heading to Auburn this week to get her a RAV4 Prime from Fox Toyota. She was very thorough. They came for a visit to my house a couple months ago to have an extended test drive of mine.

Just put another 2000 miles on my RAV4 Prime driving up to Lake Placid and back. For a long trip with a lot of highway driving, getting a solid 40 mph as a hybrid. It's really nice to only put in 10 gallons and have a hybrid range of close to 450 miles.

I'm finally getting in the habit of punching the button to start out in HV mode on trips so that I can keep the EV charge up. No point to bring the charging cable. Can charge while driving up to around 35 miles EV, but of course that drops the HV gas mileage a bit. Mostly driving in ECO mode while in HV. Have found that there is plenty of power in NORMAL mode for hilly terrain in terms of keep up the set speed on cruise control on a long uphill. Meaning no need for SPORT mode.

What EV range do you need?

Hahahahaha. Good question. I want an unrealistic amount. 750 miles in winter.

400 would mean I could day trip Jay from our place in the Adk with 50 miles of safety.

I want a pickup so I can safari through western NY and sleep in it.

Hahahahaha. Good question. I want an unrealistic amount. 750 miles in winter.

400 would mean I could day trip Jay from our place in the Adk with 50 miles of safety.

I want a pickup so I can safari through western NY and sleep in it.
Yep, you'll be waiting for a while. :)

My friend who has an older Tesla has managed to drive from NC to Lake Placid in the winter a few times. His daughter started at North Country School last year. Two more years to go. Meaning he drives most, if not all, the way in one day. He obviously has to stop to charge a few times. I think his range is not quite 300 miles in optimal weather and closer to 200 on a cold winter day. Definitely helps that there is a Tesla charging station in LP now. Before it was a stretch to charge up at Exit 25 on the Northway and then get back there without charging again.

For now, a Plug-in Hybrid was as far I was willing to go for EV capability. Only need about one gas fillup (10 gal) over 3-4 weeks when I'm home. Used to gas up the minivan once a week (17-18 gallons) when I was being a chauffeur for my daughter. Her K-6 school was about 15 min away.

Back