ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Too bad the ski trains are a thing of the past. From what I’ve read they were a big rolling party. You can take the Metro North Harlem Line to Thunder Ridge but I don’t think that’s quite the same experience as back in the day.
I tried to figure out the train to Rutland for my wife and kid when we were living in NYC. It would have been a logistical nightmare and still more money and way more time than renting a car and driving. It all sounds good until you actually think about just the first leg of the trip - maneuvering 3 sets of equipment from your apartment to the track in Penn Station during rush hour.
The train leaves around 4:30pm on Friday and gets into Rutland around 11:20pm. Then you have to hope your ride to your lodge at Killington is at the train station. If you are lucky, you will be in your room by midnight, 9 hours later.

Haven't looked but this may not be completely accurate. For many hybrids, they use the small electric motor to send power to the backwheels, which in most cases (except compared for example to a subaru) gives you more torque to backwheels than most AWDs.
I assumed the comment was only for the little Ford pickup that was being discussed at the time.

Have to say that as someone who lives in the southeast and not in the mountains, I don't need AWD. Only wanted AWD on the new SUV because I do drive up to the northeast and ski mountains in the southeast when there is snow on the roads. Plus I have vague thoughts of spending a month or so in a house in SLC in the not too distant future. Or taking a little extra time to drive out to the Rockies instead of flying and then renting a car.

The amount of powder that the RAV4 Prime has is pretty fun. Haven't been in a situation where the AWD was needed yet. There is a second electric motor for the rear wheels. Using the Sport Mode for going up hills is noticeably different than Eco or Normal mode.

Too bad the ski trains are a thing of the past. From what I’ve read they were a big rolling party. You can take the Metro North Harlem Line to Thunder Ridge but I don’t think that’s quite the same experience as back in the day.
From Boston, can take the train for a day trip to Wachusett on weekends. There are shuttle buses from the train station to finish getting to the slopes.

I don't need AWD
When living in snow country I drove a Chevy Chevette, Chevy Celebrity, Ford Taurus, 1979 Lincoln Continental, OBS Chevy 1 ton pickup and a 1983 Mercedes 300SD with no issues. All were 2WD and had kick ass snow tires, some were studded. The only time I got stuck was when I flew into an unplowed parking lot to do doughnuts with the pickup. The snow was so deep it lifted the truck off the ground. The only time I crashed due to traction was in a 1989 full size GMC Jimmy on my way to Gore in 4WD because I was driving too fast in the snow. Just because you have 4WD it doesn’t mean you have 4WStop. 4WD and AWD is great but IMO far from mandatory. Tires are everything. Like Pirelli says, “Power is nothing without controll.”

Cheaper than all wheel drive.
My road was horrible this year, used them almost every day for weeks.

Incorrect, check w Marz. That was old research i did which went into that tech she talks about. See also highlander.
Which Ford dealer has the ability to order you an AWD hybrid Ford Maverick today? This is not a trick question.

Answer: None

Let me help here.

X is correct. The conversation was about the Ford Maverick, which apparently isn’t initially offering awd on the hybrid.

Dom is talking about hybrids in general and is correct that there are in fact hybrids offered by some companies which have awd but of course the discussion had shifted to the Maverick so he was incorrect.

The info that Marz offered seems to be correct and is interesting but she never implied that it applied to the Maverick.

There we go. All good.

Let me help here.

X is correct. The conversation was about the Ford Maverick, which apparently isn’t initially offering awd on the hybrid.

Dom is talking about hybrids in general and is correct that there are in fact hybrids offered by some companies which have awd but of course the discussion had shifted to the Maverick so he was incorrect.

The info that Marz offered seems to be correct and is interesting but she never implied that it applied to the Maverick.

There we go. All good.
Thank you. I was referring to Jason's comments about the Ford Maverick.
Screenshot (106).png

Back