ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Somewhat interesting for Rivian followers.

Most interesting takeaway for me is that a big supply constrain is their motors (quad comes from Bosch) but they are moving to their in-house (dual) to help with supply chain.

R2 will be cheaper.

PS I was in a Stamford CT parking lot for work yesterday and saw two other Rivians (both Ts).

TJ - what's your status?

this is why Tesla will win the ev battle
They make and design their own motors

this is why Tesla will win the ev battle
They make and design their own motors
I mostly agree. The only different I have is that I think there will be at least several winners. I don't know who they are but Teslas has to make a series of massively dumb moves in a short span to not be one of them.

Look at the ICE market - what - are there at least 6-10 'winners' if you looked at the market 20 years ago - ford, gm, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, VW, etc.

Oh, also interesting anecdote. I had lunch with a non car person (which I would have considered my self pre Rivian) at work and I drove to the restaurant. She was in good fun poking me for liking the car so much (which again pre Rivian was not my style - a car was a thing to get you from point A to B. I guess I like this thing so much because it can get me to pretty much any A to B I would want to go to and is fun).

By the end of the drive she was like, wow, this really is an ideal vehicle for an active family. I think she was picturing some fancy fast two seater from how I described how it drives, not a 3 row SUV with a tailgate, lots of storage, fold flat, etc.

I fully realize these are luxury cars, but in a similar way that I discount the cost of owning a Toyota or Honda due the low maintainance you have to realize if you are cross shopping this against a Tahoe or decent size 3 row, you are going to save 10-12,000 in the first four years just on the difference in fuel price. Add in the 7,500 depending on income you are looking at 20,000 in 4 years, without figuring whatever other maintenance.

Maybe you will spend 1,000 more in tires over that time (maybe).

Beware of a company called
BYD

As long as you can live with body lines not matching up, unlevel glovebox's, and generally shitty fit and finish, sure ;)
People buying them (well over a mil a year now) don't seem to care. I think I would be annoyed by what I heard were all the squeaks and rattles, but now that I have a hitch I hear rattles and I don't care that much.

People buying them (well over a mil a year now) don't seem to care
Only because they aren't car "guys" who, A. don't know any better, and B. are caught up in the BS feeling of being "green".
Anytime one rolls through an auction I'm at all we do is pick them apart and laugh at how shitty they actually are.

Only because they aren't car "guys" who, A. don't know any better, and B. are caught up in the BS feeling of being "green".
Anytime one rolls through an auction I'm at all we do is pick them apart and laugh at how shitty they actually are.
Agree.

I have panel gaps (I don’t think they are bad except one - will post a picture) but if I wanted electric three row suv that can go off-road chance was one company, or choose something else.

It sounds like you may not believe it is green but I have done a bunch of research and I think I am honest and pretty good at research so I am either truthful or mistaken on the green Ness- I am pretty psyched that
With solar I will have a clean source of energy even after factoring rare earth minerals and second use life for the battery.

Back