ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

That difference sounds about right. My husband decided that the $7500 tax credit made a R4P about the same as the RAV4 hybrid. In our case, my requirement was an SUV, preferably a hybrid. For my usage, having a stated range of 42 miles EV was enough. That was in comparison to the EV range of the other PHEVs on the market at the time, which was on the order of 20 miles EV.

I like not having to stop at a gas station much less when I'm at home. As they say, "time is money."
Guys just be careful on this one. The Prime - the plug in - is currently NOT eligible for the credit (that changed with the new law 2d half 2022) as it is assembled in Japan. This may change as Japan and Europe are pounding US on this. Prime does get like a $400 credit (Rivian gets 0 - go figure).

Guys just be careful on this one. The Prime - the plug in - is currently NOT eligible for the credit (that changed with the new law 2d half 2022) as it is assembled in Japan. This may change as Japan and Europe are pounding US on this. Prime does get like a $400 credit (Rivian gets 0 - go figure).
That zero credit better change or rivian is doomed. Hopefully thet get creative sell me the truck for 70k and I pay extra for things like wheels, tires, lights.
It's BS. Screwing American companies trying to innovate stinks

That zero credit better change or rivian is doomed. Hopefully thet get creative sell me the truck for 70k and I pay extra for things like wheels, tires, lights.
It's BS. Screwing American companies trying to innovate stinks
I hope and expect it will change. Part of the issue (the entire domestic side) seems to be that Rivian is non union and Manchin had a key vote and was against the 'rich' (though rich is not tied to income but assets; yes unless you are a trustfunder income is a necessary part of that for a long time).

One benefit of my long time order is that I got a bit lucky and fell within the binding contract exception to the rule change, but that was a grandfathering rule (and arguably necessary to make the tax credit change constitutional)

I like not having to stop at a gas station much less when I'm at home. As they say, "time is money."
In this IMSA race it's estimated that the GTP cars will have 8 less fuel stops. Big advantage, if they don't break and have to change out batteries.

In this IMSA race it's estimated that the GTP cars will have 8 less fuel stops. Big advantage, if they don't break and have to change out batteries.
Just turned it on. Do they all go VVRRRROOOOOOM?
"The cars make their debut Saturday in the twice-round-the-clock Rolex 24 at Daytona, which has been described as a "symphony of sounds" because of the new engines. The hybrid powertrains marry a traditional internal combustion engine with Bosch’s Motor Generation Unit, an energy recovery system that includes batteries and an Xtrac gearbox."
"The last six hours gave been yellow free" the announcer just said. Pretty amazing.

Just turned it on. Do they all go VVRRRROOOOOOM?
"The cars make their debut Saturday in the twice-round-the-clock Rolex 24 at Daytona, which has been described as a "symphony of sounds" because of the new engines. The hybrid powertrains marry a traditional internal combustion engine with Bosch’s Motor Generation Unit, an energy recovery system that includes batteries and an Xtrac gearbox."
"The last six hours gave been yellow free" the announcer just said. Pretty amazing.
Ooh Bosch is what first gen Rivians are using. Rivian is using their own on the R2s which are supposed to come out and be less expensive than the R1s, kind of like the Model 3 for Tesla.

Well that was quick. Yellow out now, someone lost it in a turn, why can’t we have nice things?
That dude totally blew the corner. Didn't help he started bouncing with too much speed.
One of the best things about IMSA is they race! Not that sissy Nascar stuff...lol
All the GTP's have the same power plant in this race. Quite interesting and remarkable.
Between this race and the Barrett-Jackson auction, it's been a great weekend to be a car guy.

I found this article interesting. It looks at Toyota potentially shifting to EVs; those of us who read this thread know they have been the longest big automaker to question EVs.

Back