ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Long story but this just happened,

So, my wife just drove down to Washington for a four day business trip. On the second morning she feels sick, tests positive for Covid and decides to come home. She picked up our Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and the valet had apparently smashed the passenger side rear view mirror in some sort of accident. It’s now taped on. She gets on the road and somewhere in Maryland stopped for gas and food. She decided to use the supercharger to charge the battery too. Well, the car wouldn’t go in drive after that. There was some sort of EV code on the dash and she was stuck. She called the dealership where we bought the car and when they didn’t answer, she left a message. I’m up in the Catskills goofing off with barely any reception so I’m useless. She gets in touch with the local dealer down there and they say they have to tow the car because they can’t clear the code wirelessly. She waited so long for the tow that the dealership closed and couldn’t do it until the next day. She had to get Lyft to a hotel and spend the night which luckily her company paid for. The next day the cars all set and they did an oil change too since that was also needed. $200 later, she starts driving down the highway and calls me saying she’s dragging something but doesn’t think it’s serious. She gets home and I look under the car and the dust cover skid plate thingy

This was the first time we used a fast charger and it doesn’t instill a lot of confidence. All of our charging so far has been at home with the snail charger. The travel station, tow operator and dealership all said this happens frequently there. The charging station help center hotline isn’t what they say they are. In lieu of a self help super truck, the costs are; $2.50 for a 64% percent battery charge, Progressive got the tow, $70 for Lyft which is on the company and the hotel, $149, and another Lyft for $15. $130 out of pocket for one hour of labor for the dealer to clear the code, $70 for an oil change on a motor that’s smaller than one on a lawn mower and one day of life. Ripping the cover off is free along with a couple zip ties.

Last edited:
Long story but this just happened,
...She decided to use the supercharger to charge the battery too. Well, the car wouldn’t go in drive after that. There was some sort of EV code on the dash and she was stuck. She called the dealership where we bought the car and when they didn’t answer, she left a message. I’m up in the Catskills goofing off with barely any reception so I’m useless. She gets in touch with the local dealer down there and they say they have to tow the car because they can’t clear the code wirelessly. She waited so long for the tow that the dealership closed and couldn’t do it until the next day. ...
Did y’all try the alt-control-delete/// turn-it off, turn it- back on thingy

. . .
She gets on the road and somewhere in Maryland stopped for gas and food. She decided to use the supercharger to charge the battery too. Well, the car wouldn’t go in drive after that. There was some sort of EV code on the dash and she was stuck. . . .
What a mess!

Didn't know the Outlander PHEV could do fast charging. Which charging company?

Learned a bit about the Outlander charging options from this article, but it's from the UK so no really applicable when it comes to using a public charge station.

Since the RAV4 Prime doesn't support fast charging, I don't usually bring the charging cable when I take a long driving trip. Only makes sense if I'm going to be staying at a friend's house for a few days. If I want to charge a bit (after I forget to go into HV mode at some point), I charge while running HV at low speeds. Optimal performance as a hybrid seems to be when there is at least 20 EV miles.

In a fully electric car what wears out, besides the battery? Beyond tires, brakes, wipers etc.

If it cost 20k to replace the battery is it like new? Can newer more efficient batteries be put into older cars?

In a fully electric car what wears out, besides the battery? Beyond tires, brakes, wipers etc.

If it cost 20k to replace the battery is it like new? Can newer more efficient batteries be put into older cars?
My ski buddy in Ohio had one of the original Prius PHEVs. Can't remember exactly when or what mileage but the traction battery wore out. At least 5 years I think. The replacement battery was somewhere in the $2000 to $5000 range. They opted to trade in that Prius and get another Prius PHEV. Fair to say that battery technology has changed a fair amount in the last decade.

What they went for in 2021 was the RAV4 Prime PHEV, instead of a Prius Prime. Last year the supply was not as constrained as in the first six months the RAV4 Prime was being sold in the USA, or in 2022.

They live in a multi-story condo with a parking garage on the lower levels. There are 240V charging stations available to residents. The condo management had to add a time limit in early 2022 because more residents were buying EVs or PHEVs.

Dec 2021

They live in a multi-story condo with a parking garage on the lower levels. There are 240V charging stations available to residents. The condo management had to add a time limit in early 2022 because more residents were buying EVs or PHEVs.
Is there a cost to residents to charge their vehicles parked there?

Back