ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Separately I finally have some kind of conflict to disclose to be fair - yesterday I purchased my first individual stock ever, not a significant amount in context. So now instead of being a fanboy, I am vested in their success.

I plan never to sell unless it goes up 10x (which I put at a 15% chance, along with a 15% chance of going to 0).

Sandy's only complaint: he would have liked an optional steering yolk instead of a steering wheel. So I'd say positive for Rivian.

When (I don't think it is "if") Ev's are viable for air travel, that will help a lot with emissions.

I remember when I lived in Brooklyn, drove maybe 1,000 miles a year, took mass transit or walked, and had one trip to Poland for a family on a C02 calculator - I had the same footprint as the average American, which not to be cute is pretty bad.
Somebody went electric wingsuit flying.

For those counting in super bowl commercials - EVs 4, ICE 0.

EVs: GM, BMW, Nissan, Hyundai.

There are at least a dozen EV chargers at Taos Ski Valley. There are at the near the end of the parking lots that is closest to where the open shuttles drop people off. You drive by them to get into the lot that's for overnight guests at the lodges and condos at the base (free parking). TSV is the only B-Corp ski resort, so they take EV seriously.

A friend who lives in Albuquerque has an EV car. She and her husband have a condo close to town. One morning when she got a late start, she parked in an EV spot since the regular parking lots were clearly about to fill up and everyone else would be in the overflow lots. So the demand isn't that high yet.

The public parking lot with meters in Taos had two charging stations.

TSV EV chargers Feb2022 - 1.jpeg

EV chargers are on the beyond the frame of the picture on the left side
TSV EV chargers Feb2022 - 2.jpeg

This is interesting: a 2020 Michigan startup just demo'd a prototype battery that took a model S 752 miles on a single charge. They say they will demo a production version of it in 2023. If these things go into production, it pretty much takes away the range anxiety argument: you can top off at your home or a fast charger in a pinch, but you won't really need to charge on a trip.

Some of the EV's being brought to market look like they are going to be obsolete before they even get made! Rivian is a sweet vehicle but some are criticizing the voltage it can take in for its charging.

In the category of 'would not have believed': Ford made just about as many electric 'mustangs' as gas powered. Of course, two completely different cars:

Back