HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

My point was to filter don't you need ducts?

I'll worry about what filter to use later.

$750 to replace a board? That’s usually a DIY even for me. OTOH a couple of big capacitors on the board probably would have prevented that but that would cost maybe 25 or 50 cents.

mm
Lousy design. Board on condenser failed and the head unit. Unit is 7 yrs old. New ones have protection.

Took them a couple of hours to figure it out and to get Mitsubishi to cover the parts.

They do have filters but they are in place to protect the condensation coil from clogging

Mini splits don’t have a very good filtration. A mini ducted unit. You could increase the filtration by doing something custom because it does have duck work.

If I was moving into a new home, I would have a HEPA filter with carbon, plug-in type running 24 seven for at least the first year. Lots of construction materials off gassing.

We put in a Fujitsu system in one section of our house that has 3 ducted units, and 1 wall mounted split unit in the attic. If you have the space to hide the air handlers the ducted units are fantastic, looks like central but with a zone for each room.

Harvey - have you done the analysis in Jersey of running the split system vs traditional heating in the Winter? Went all in on the minisplits last winter and PSEG can't seem to figure out my bill with a $2000 charge only to give a lot of it back. The SEER rating for the older splits on my main floor is only ~ 9 for heat, so I suspect they just aren't cost efficient when the temp gets below 45 or so. I may do more of a mix with NatGas this winter

If I was moving into a new home, I would have a HEPA filter with carbon, plug-in type running 24 seven for at least the first year. Lots of construction materials off gassing.
Is that a portable device?

Lousy design. Board on condenser failed and the head unit. Unit is 7 yrs old. New ones have protection.

Took them a couple of hours to figure it out and to get Mitsubishi to cover the parts.
We just had a Mitsubishi split system installed and every installer quoted the install with a whole house surge protector.

We just had a Mitsubishi split system installed and every installer quoted the install with a whole house surge protector.
live and learn...when it worked it's wonderful...

Back