HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

I think it was the wood chopping that was thrown under the bus, not the burning.

Why not heat with wood?
Folks have been doing it for a long time around there.

It’s been my neighbors primary source for the last 45yrs . His wife keeps lamenting “ I want a thermostat “.
If you’re away skiing someone has to keep it going , unless you have a secondary.
A few of my neighbors have older outdoor boilers and there always seems to be some visible smoke.

I probably would be supplementing with wood if my wife didn’t have asthma. I went Geo 10yrs ago but kept my oil as domestic hot water and backup heat for power outages. I buy 1 tankful and heat/cool for less then $1,800 yr

That's certainly affordable. It pulls VOCs out of the air?

Yes , the reason I bought one years ago was I used a glue ( made for flooring) to install a Parquet floor in my living room and dining room. The odor didn’t seem to dissipate weeks later.
I ran the HEPA filter continuously.
It made a difference but even if I left a piece of clothing on the floor when I picked it up I would get a wiff of glue.

I think it was the wood chopping that was thrown under the bus, not the burning.
I’m too old for handling wood every day and I travel too much to rely on it but wood burning definitely causes an air quality issue around here. It’s probably different in the Adirondacks but even in rural areas sometimes you’ll see houses covered in smoke from wood stoves with poor chimneys. That’s like living in your own self-generated AQI300 zone.

mm

I'm leaning toward heat pump with propane backup and wood backup backup.

Honestly if I am going to have ducts, I think I might as well go for a standard heat pump (no mini-splits). The mini-splits are a good solution in a renovation when ducks are a PITA. But this is new construction and I don't like the look of the mini-splits inside the house.

The cheapest way to back it up with propane looks to be a furnace that drives forced air through the same ducts, but the hot setup looks to be furnace with hydro baseboards.

Costs TBD of course.

I have Mitsubishi Ductless a/c that takes care of my downstairs. Standard Central air for the upstairs and other parts of the house. First week in July we had a power surge due to some T storms..Fr

I'm leaning toward heat pump with propane backup and wood backup backup.

Honestly if I am going to have ducts, I think I might as well go for a standard heat pump (no mini-splits). The mini-splits are a good solution in a renovation when ducks are a PITA. But this is new construction and I don't like the look of the mini-splits inside the house.

The cheapest way to back it up with propane looks to be a furnace that drives forced air through the same ducts, but the hot setup looks to be furnace with hydro baseboards.

Costs TBD of course.
If your going to put ducks in for AC forced hot air makes more sense.

Back