Hell is Other People

witch hobble

Probably been discussed, but what are other sports where people participating in it ahead of you degrade your own experience in a way similar to skiing?

For context, any activity can be hard to enjoy when so many people are doing it simultaneously. But with skiing, so much of the desirability for an intermediate and advanced skier is unbroken pow, fresh cord to rip, being one of the first to zip down some off map shot after powder. So someone who was there an hour before you….who may have already left, has the ability to degrade your experience while enjoying their own.

Hunting I guess probably. What else? Not really golf or tennis, or boating on a lake, or whitewater, or even hiking. People who finish just before you, or have moved on don’t really leave as much impact.

Has to be a scarce commodity.

Original answer better, but hey, what if some off map glade learned a new trick or two from some other skier and then “improved your experience”?

Original answer better, but hey, what if some off map glade learned a new trick or two from some other skier and then “improved your experience”?
I laughed but thought it may have been a little distasteful. It was true

Sleds
Both with POW or groomed. If some shmuck doesn't know how to ride they can screw it up royally.

Hunting and fishing fo sho too

Last edited:
Salmon fishin in the Land of Oz in The Upstate comes to mind.
Used to tell folks they need a fish ladder to give the fish a chance and spread the folks out more.
Fish ladders work in many other places.
Haven’t been near that shitshow in years. It can be fun but gets old fast.

Surfing?

EDIT: oh, I guess that’s more of a “degrade the experience while you are doing it” thing.

You mean degrade the experience so if you show up two hours later, it’s not as good? Ice skating on a pristine lake? Apple picking? Competitive Black Friday shopping?

Last edited:
Absolutely golf. You have never followed a bad 4 or a couple of bad 4s? How about playing the second game of the morning on a wet grass soccer field - that is a nasty bit of fun.

Absolutely golf. You have never followed a bad 4 or a couple of bad 4s? ...- that is a nasty bit of fun.
Doesn’t bother me to play with or behind bad golfers, just keep it moving.
Slow golfers even if they’re great is the problem.

Back