Greek Peak Conditions

I appreciate the effort made by Dougski:

I was wondering if anyone is willing to give a few paragraphs on each of the various lift pods? Also if anyone knows the total trail miles that would be helpful.

This site has GP uphill at 7108/hour:

Numbers looks realistic? Any chairs missing?

Liftblog has it at 8225:

The number of lifts is correct. No idea about how they know the number of people loaded per hour. I'd guess its optimistic.
I glanced at the list of resorts in NY... Many that have been closed for a long time, are listed as temporarily closed... like Scotch Mountain... and Schu-maker are listed but without info. These places have been closed for a generation of sking.

Math yeah, but the math is based on original and optimistic specifications, which I doubt have ever been verified. The same is probably true for all the resorts listed at that site. Nevertheless, Greek is a special case, those who work the hill, we know the lifts. The numbers are optimistic.

"Visions" Quad, the newest, at about 10 years old, is a refurbished system. It hasn't run consistently at full speed since the day it was installed. Depending on who's talking, the reason is either because management is saving electricity or because the moving loading ramp is a poorly timed kludge, which either runs to fast or too slow for easiest loading. Whatever the reason watch both Chair 1 and Visions, and you'll understand why it's a employee standing joke that the old Chair 1 runs at about the same speed as the new supposedly higher speed quad.

As for the rest, they were installed 40-60 years ago. The oldest, 60 year old Chair 2, refurbished 20+ years ago, may be running faster than original speed, but who knows? Then there is the 40 year old backside triple, whose motor is both problematic and perhaps the slowest triple chair I've ever ridden. Chairs 1, 3 and 4 were installed about 50 years ago. They are well engineered Halls, well maintained, but nobody knows if they are running at original speed.

The bottom line is that Greek's mostly antique lift system is well maintained, but its also slow.

Not for nothin but you do a better job of promoting Greek than Greek does. They should put you on the payroll, or at last steal your material.

Also, thank you for doing it. I don't think I ever would have made the drive if it weren't for you.

Back