Greek Peak 01/21/22

Thanks for the overview, I think. ;) So, is the one foot rollback when chair 5 stops normal and safeish or should I be terrified?
One foot is fine when lift is loaded with skiers. Five is not, especially if the reason for hitting the stop button is that skiers had trouble loading. Not cool having a chair come back at you in the loading area.

One more question. What happens when the cable jumps the wheel? How do you get it back on? What if the chair were loaded? (Ok. I guess that's three... :p)
Normally when the cable jumps the tower wheels the cable ends up on safety guides, the safety triggers are engaged and the lift stops with a lot of noise. If the lift is loaded with people, Ski Patrol consults management and makes the decision on evacuation or fix first. I've only seen a cable jump when the lift is not loaded. Cables jump the wheels when the wheels are not aligned or in huge winds and it's harder to jump a wheel on a fully loaded lift. If a cable jumps a tower wheel AND the safety guide, then you will see the cable counterweights pull the big wheels at one (or both) ends of the lifts keep the cable taut. That's when you really want to have that safety bar closed on your chair. The bouncing can be really frightening if you are near the tower that jumped. In my 55 years of skiing I have never heard of cable jumping totally off a tower in NY state.

Of all the lifts, 4 scares me the most. When it’s not carrying a load it’s fine, but when it’s fully loaded and lift stops and restarts them towers shutter and shake badly. I would hope they inspect the towers often. I try not to ride when they are busy. It’s nice dropping in to 4 without the smell of burning oil ?

Chair 2 I’ve always enjoyed, slow but beautiful. Probably my favorite of all the lifts but rarely runs.

I’d take chair 1 before Visions lift if given a choice every time, Visions lift stops way more than 1 when busy. Not to mention the cluster of people gathered in front of lift, it’s hard to tell who’s in line or who’s hanging out.

Chair 5 is where I’m at on weekends, don’t even bother to go to other side. Lift has been pretty good for the most part. The lefties are very good, top and bottom and are always friendly. Not that any others have been bad, but they are more outgoing on 5.

Greek doesn’t need high speed lifts. With Less then 1000 vertical shouldn’t need it. They just need lifts that work consistently and maintained. ( look at Elk ) Greek needs to also run more lifts to spread out the masses. But as our private messaging I understand you can’t run lifts without people.
We have a new fixed grip here and it’s really fast and more reliable compared to the detachables.

Normally when the cable jumps the tower wheels the cable ends up on safety guides, the safety triggers are engaged and the lift stops with a lot of noise. If the lift is loaded with people, Ski Patrol consults management and makes the decision on evacuation or fix first. I've only seen a cable jump when the lift is not loaded. Cables jump the wheels when the wheels are not aligned or in huge winds and it's harder to jump a wheel on a fully loaded lift. If a cable jumps a tower wheel AND the safety guide, then you will see the cable counterweights pull the big wheels at one (or both) ends of the lifts keep the cable taut. That's when you really want to have that safety bar closed on your chair. The bouncing can be really frightening if you are near the tower that jumped. In my 55 years of skiing I have never heard of cable jumping totally off a tower in NY state.
Thanks!

Why would you even get a pass to GP? If I lived where you do I'd go to Elk. I've never been there but I hear it's great skiing and is run flawlessly.
Better lockup yer converters there, just sayin.

So, pick your ancient lift poison, Greek, or Elk. That is the first evacuation I've heard of at Elk. I know of several at Greek.

Yep, most people do. Only a select few choose to whine like babies.
Are you for real? Yeah, suck it up, just think of it as part of the Greek Peak Adventure center. A season's pass perk. If you're lucky you'll get to experience the thrill of the chair 5 fifty foot roll back, it's thrilling!

Back