Greek Peak 01/21/22

Cornhead

Well, it started out good. Waited for the chill to subside a little. Parked at chair 5, on the chair around 12:30. Couple runs on Mars, nice new snow and man-made.
IMG_20220121_133030934.jpg

Over to 4, one run down Trojan, good
IMG_20220121_134336697.jpg

IMG_20220121_134331489.jpg

Rode 4 again, over to Castor, good.
IMG_20220121_135659332.jpg

IMG_20220121_135710078.jpg

OK, here's where things went downhill. Over to quad, seemed to be running awful slow. Skied Fields, it too was good.
IMG_20220121_141130411~2.jpg

IMG_20220121_141216274.jpg

Back to the quad, asked why so slow, didn't get a real answer. This is how long the ride was.
Screenshot_20220121-143208.png

Took the connector over to Castor from the top. Aesop's looked good, albeit a little thin, didn't ski it.
IMG_20220121_143447886.jpg

Back to my car to warm and self medicate.?
Got in line at 5 around 3:15. Chair was broke, back to the car. Shuttle bus picked everyone up that was waiting, lift started moving slowly around 4. People were on the chair, in the shade, in 10° temps for at least 40 minutes.

Dude, I hope those poor souls hung out to freeze at least got a free cup of hot chocolate.

I don't know, it's just typical Greek, an otherwise stellar skiing day dragged down by antiquated, and/or poorly maintained lifts. Oh, we're gonna need another $5 on top of your $600 so you can ride up the hill at 0.83 vertical feet per second...or I suppose you could walk up, stay warm, and get there quicker.

Camp? You outta town? Come on man, stick up for this poorly run turd.

Last edited:
Here's my impressions of Greek's lifts (from one who works there 3-5 times a week).
Chair 1: 50+ years old. Breaks too frequently. One speed motor. Latest incident was cable jumping off wheel on a tower this season during morning startup.
Chair 2: 60 years old, reengineered 15 years ago. Maybe now the most reliable lift on hill but brake needs to be monitored closely when running. Variable speed motor. Cool old style towers. Was first chair on hill, was at one time the longest in state. Delivered as a kit from an Italian manufacturer. Instructions were in Italian too.
Chair 3: 50+ Old and slowest. Beginner nightmare. Much despised by staff. One speed motor. Due for replacement with newer rebuilt, but still used, chairlift that has been sitting on the ground, awaiting permits and installation for two seasons. Did I say we all groaned when informed this thing was going to be with us again this year? Yeah.
Chair 4: 50 years old. Recently left skiers hanging, updated motor installed in last few years. Backup motor and transmission failed two years ago on busy weekend. Worst day. Emergency stop gate at top is fussy to reset.
Chair 5: 40+ years old. New chairs and maintenance in last few years, but there has been trouble with switch gear and likes to scare the heck out of everyone with 5 foot rollbacks. Most recent incident was a stuck switch forcing it to work in slow speed only. Last of the Hall lifts.
Visions "Express" Quad: Sorry folks this is just a slightly faster fixed grip (not detachable) lift. It's not really an express, but does go a little bit faster than Chair 1. While it has an easy load moving track (when it works) and variable speed motor, it has had its share of issues. But at least the backup diesel motor works, even though its too slow.

Owners, management and staff all know the lifts need big time updating. But honestly the snowmaking needed it even more and its a good thing it has been. Because nobody's riding a nice new lift if there isn't enough snow on the hill.

Here's my impressions of Greek's lifts (from one who works there 3-5 times a week).
Chair 1: 50+ years old. Breaks too frequently. One speed motor. Latest incident was cable jumping off wheel on a tower this season during morning startup.
Chair 2: 60 years old, reengineered 15 years ago. Maybe now the most reliable lift on hill but brake needs to be monitored closely when running. Variable speed motor. Cool old style towers. Was first chair on hill, was at one time the longest in state. Delivered as a kit from an Italian manufacturer. Instructions were in Italian too.
Chair 3: 50+ Old and slowest. Beginner nightmare. Much despised by staff. One speed motor. Due for replacement with newer rebuilt, but still used, chairlift that has been sitting on the ground, awaiting permits and installation for two seasons. Did I say we all groaned when informed this thing was going to be with us again this year? Yeah.
Chair 4: 50 years old. Recently left skiers hanging, updated motor installed in last few years. Backup motor and transmission failed two years ago on busy weekend. Worst day. Emergency stop gate at top is fussy to reset.
Chair 5: 40+ years old. New chairs and maintenance in last few years, but there has been trouble with switch gear and likes to scare the heck out of everyone with 5 foot rollbacks. Most recent incident was a stuck switch forcing it to work in slow speed only. Last of the Hall lifts.
Visions "Express" Quad: Sorry folks this is just a slightly faster fixed grip (not detachable) lift. It's not really an express, but does go a little bit faster than Chair 1. While it has an easy load moving track (when it works) and variable speed motor, it has had its share of issues. But at least the backup diesel motor works, even though its too slow.

Owners, management and staff all know the lifts need big time updating. But honestly the snowmaking needed it even more and its a good thing it has been. Because nobody's riding a nice new lift if there isn't enough snow on the hill.
Thanks for the overview, I think. ;) So, is the one foot rollback when chair 5 stops normal and safeish or should I be terrified?

Of all the lifts, 4 scares me the most. When it’s not carrying a load it’s fine, but when it’s fully loaded and lift stops and restarts them towers shutter and shake badly. I would hope they inspect the towers often. I try not to ride when they are busy. It’s nice dropping in to 4 without the smell of burning oil ?

Chair 2 I’ve always enjoyed, slow but beautiful. Probably my favorite of all the lifts but rarely runs.

I’d take chair 1 before Visions lift if given a choice every time, Visions lift stops way more than 1 when busy. Not to mention the cluster of people gathered in front of lift, it’s hard to tell who’s in line or who’s hanging out.

Chair 5 is where I’m at on weekends, don’t even bother to go to other side. Lift has been pretty good for the most part. The lefties are very good, top and bottom and are always friendly. Not that any others have been bad, but they are more outgoing on 5.

Greek doesn’t need high speed lifts. With Less then 1000 vertical shouldn’t need it. They just need lifts that work consistently and maintained. ( look at Elk ) Greek needs to also run more lifts to spread out the masses. But as our private messaging I understand you can’t run lifts without people.

One more question. What happens when the cable jumps the wheel? How do you get it back on? What if the chair were loaded? (Ok. I guess that's three... :P)

Of all the lifts, 4 scares me the most. When it’s not carrying a load it’s fine, but when it’s fully loaded and lift stops and restarts them towers shutter and shake badly. I would hope they inspect the towers often. I try not to ride when they are busy. It’s nice dropping in to 4 without the smell of burning oil ?

Chair 2 I’ve always enjoyed, slow but beautiful. Probably my favorite of all the lifts but rarely runs.

I’d take chair 1 before Visions lift if given a choice every time, Visions lift stops way more than 1 when busy. Not to mention the cluster of people gathered in front of lift, it’s hard to tell who’s in line or who’s hanging out.

Chair 5 is where I’m at on weekends, don’t even bother to go to other side. Lift has been pretty good for the most part. The lefties are very good, top and bottom and are always friendly. Not that any others have been bad, but they are more outgoing on 5.

Greek doesn’t need high speed lifts. With Less then 1000 vertical shouldn’t need it. They just need lifts that work consistently and maintained. ( look at Elk ) Greek needs to also run more lifts to spread out the masses. But as our private messaging I understand you can’t run lifts without people.
I agree completely about chair 1 over Visions. And chair 2 is a beautiful ride, for sure.

QFT
I've said this before and imo it still holds true. It took fifty years to run the place into the ground so it will take time to bring er back.

DHA, thanks for the detailed "breakdown" ? of Greek's lifts. I agree that snowmaking was the first order of business to be addressed, and addressed it was, the whales I've seen on the hill during the recent cold snap have been quite impressive. Chair 5, the only lift I've ever been evacuate from, and I've ridden a ton of lifts in the last 30+ years, is the one that scares me. I saw a couple literally swept off the loading platform by a chair in front of them rolling back.

As to staffing issues, it hadn't even dawned on me that employees with COVID was an issue. I had solely attributed it to people not wanting to work anymore. I was there today, and kudos to the guys and gals standing outside in 6° temps loading the lifts. I told a couple they deserved hazard pay today.
IMG_20220129_132920998.jpg

Whales on Zeus

Back