Gore Mountain Conditions

FYI, the high school sectional races at Gore originally scheduled for Tuesday 2/13 have been postponed to Wednesday 2/14 in anticipation of at least some participating schools having a snow day tomorrow making it so they'd be unable to attend. There will be both slalom and GS races.
1707936161288.png

looks like they're getting their warmups today at McCauley

Ladies and Gentlemen, your new ORDA CEO.
“Slides"?
There’s several “slides" in LP-WF related to ORDA.

Is ORDA's planned zippy-do-dah-coaster-thingy🍺a “slide"?:unsure:

Or is it gonna be part of an Olympic Ski Mountaineering course?
Only two years till gold is awarded here:

At my home mountain, Belleayre, the very top reach of distance for one run is 1.75 miles and you have to really go out of your way to pull that off. At Gore, you can easily hit 3.5 miles (Straight Brook Lodge to the bottom of Burnt Ridge) but there's a lot of skating involved. In theory, one could probably go all the way to the yurt and get 4.5 or even 5 miles on one run if your lungs and legs could do it.
I would have to look at my app but I think 20 runs from the summit to the bowl will get you there. Pipeline will build your glutes if you are a skier or one of you legs if you are a boarder. The closest we came to 50k was a day Duck and I started out on the main mountain and everything kinda sucked so we went over to Sagamore and hit 49850 and begged ski patrol to let us do one more and they wouldn't. Sagamore is your key to vert...and it is only 1.25 miles long. How long is Hoyt's vs. Wilmington? I did 3 circuits Gondola, Summit to base at whiteface and that was just shy of 10k. Wilmington would be a good one but you need 2 lifts vs. only one to lap Hoyt's. I think you would need more hours to do it at Belle

“Slides"?
There’s several “slides" in LP-WF related to ORDA.

Is ORDA's planned zippy-do-dah-coaster-thingy🍺a “slide"?:unsure:

Or is it gonna be part of an Olympic Ski Mountaineering course?
Only two years till gold is awarded here:
I think “slides” was the writer’s poor attempt at humor - she’s a former luger.

Last edited:
At my home mountain, Belleayre, the very top reach of distance for one run is 1.75 miles and you have to really go out of your way to pull that off. At Gore, you can easily hit 3.5 miles (Straight Brook Lodge to the bottom of Burnt Ridge) but there's a lot of skating involved. In theory, one could probably go all the way to the yurt and get 4.5 or even 5 miles on one run if your lungs and legs could do it.
We did top of cloud down to the ski bowl via wood out and pipeline and it came to 3.9miles and I think about 2500ft of vert.

It ended up being an enjoyable race day at Gore despite the wind. I was able to get in 10 runs in between watching my daughter's and my nephew's races. We were able to take another of my nephews down Lies for his first genuine double diamond. It was groomed flat but was still the longest trail that steep he'd done and it was a nice confidence builder. Then we showed him the massive whales being built on Rumor and told him that he'll need to get a lot more experience on steeps before he can conquer that one, hopefully next season.

I thought the best snow was on Sunway down to Quicksilver, with a fresh coat of snowmaking since the most recent bout of spring. Others weren't bad, very skiable frozen and loose granular, helped by a light coating of natural snow. Showcase was carving nicely.

I wish I had time to check out a few others but the day's priority was to watch the kids more than to get in runs.

The wind is ripping. Nice little storm, seems like a bit more than forecast. It's blower too and not that cold.

Back