Fish Tales

A popular fish in Chinese cuisine. One advantage of eating with chopsticks is that it's easier to tease out the bones. My father's favorite dish was any steamed whole fish. Didn't matter how many small bones were in the fish. He essentially ate everything but the backbone and the tail.

Chinese Steamed whole fish is one of my favorite dishes. especially when when its served with drizzled hot oil...

summertroutthumb.jpg

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/summertroutflyr.pdf

Hopefully stashed behind the seat.
I'd be interested in a boat review, may fit the bill for future RV life

I assume Rip meant PFD? Yeah, we have one. No, he isn’t wearing it in a 3 foot deep pond. The young man is almost 19 and he knows how to swim, and how to stand in 3 feet of water.

But point taken!

As to the yaks……I know the idea went over like a lead balloon when I floated it here, but we obviously got them. Glad we did, they are doing exactly what we wanted them to, which is to gain access to fish we otherwise couldn’t get to. The pond we were on this morning, which requires a five minute hike that would not be conducive to dragging in a hard kayak, has always been productive from the limited area to bank fish……but we got so many more fish today, many of them in the tall grasses at the far side of the pond from the bank clearing.

As for a review of the kayaks after two uses…..this pic says a lot!
491DDC5A-2EAB-49AE-9B4B-8BEFD1584F81.jpeg

That’s two 10 foot kayaks, with paddles, in the back of the SUV. If all you had was a car trunk they’d fit in there, too.

How are the actual kayaks? Compared to a “real” kayak…..probably shitty. With extreme portability comes trade-offs. However, these folding TuckTec kayaks do what kayaks are intended to do. They float, they are stable, they paddle straight. The seat and the ‘foot rest’ are pretty bare bones and lacking in support. However, I fished from it for 3 straight hours this morning, had a blast, and didn’t suffer. Plenty of room in the kayak for fishing gear.

The folding kayaks set up and fold back up pretty easy, in less than 10 minutes once you have it down.

I know people do some hacks and upgrades, like getting a different (stadium) seat. We may consider doing that. The plastic folding paddles from TuckTec aren’t worth the $30 bucks we paid for them, so we’ll get some better paddles (with drip guards). Otherwise, these extremely portable kayaks perform as advertised and are a lot of fun.

We’ll bring them to the Cape this weekend to do some lake/pond fishing.

Happened to catch this folding kayak on The Shark Tank. One of the three men who did the presentation is/was a pro racer. The Sharks were impressed enough that a deal was made.

EDIT: found the intro video

The Oru kayak looks nice, but at $900 they were out of our price range, for what we wanted to do. We got two TuckTec folding kayaks for $720. I also think the TuckTec hardshell (plastic) will be a better fit for fishing gear (hooks, etc). TuckTec also has a longer warranty and better return policy. I’m sure the Oru is wonderful, it just wasn’t a fit for us.

The Oru kayak looks nice, but at $900 they were out of our price range, for what we wanted to do. We got two TuckTec folding kayaks for $720. I also think the TuckTec hardshell (plastic) will be a better fit for fishing gear (hooks, etc). TuckTec also has a longer warranty and better return policy. I’m sure the Oru is wonderful, it just wasn’t a fit for us.
This would be perfect for the cape ponds

Back