Fish Tales

My son did head out this afternoon to fish for Carp again, this time in the tidal portion of the Fishkill Creek.

He hooked into a huge one, but it ran hard on him and broke off. He almost landed a small one, but it flipped off the hook at the last second.

What did he catch, in the brackish waters where the Fishkill Creek meets the Hudson?

A huge Goldfish!
043AB580-9BEB-4C9D-AADD-47ABCF38F092.jpeg

But not just any huge estuary Goldfish…….it was a one-eyed, huge estuary Goldfish!

I shit you not…..

76D952E8-0888-4BDE-B8F4-2CB8EA842E7E.jpg

Last edited:
wild catch!!!!
gold fish are also invasive. that looks like a standard pet store fish..

carp=goldfish=koi

bowfishing for carp was big thing in south jersey, seen 'em land some monsters

My son did head out this afternoon to fish for Carp again, this time in the tidal portion of the Fishkill Creek.

He hooked into a huge one, but it ran hard on him and broke off. He almost landed a small one, but it flipped off the hook at the last second.

What did he catch, in the brackish waters where the Fishkill Creek meets the Hudson?

A huge Goldfish!
View attachment 15349
But not just any huge estuary Goldfish…….it was a one-eyed, huge estuary Goldfish!

I shit you not…..

View attachment 15355
Kill it.

When I was kid I saw one in the creek by my house. When I told everyone, nobody believed me. Damn grownups.

How does carp taste? Does anybody eat it?
A popular fish in Chinese cuisine. One advantage of eating with chopsticks is that it's easier to tease out the bones. My father's favorite dish was any steamed whole fish. Didn't matter how many small bones were in the fish. He essentially ate everything but the backbone and the tail.

Back