Fall Weather 2023

Thanks, @Warp daddy and @Brownski. I've driven in my share of challenging conditions. A few years back, I don't think I would have made it up @Harvey's road with front wheel drive, 4 snow tires and 2 inches of fresh pow. I'm that guy that likes a belt and suspenders. ;)
Sounds like ya qualify as a North Country woodchuck ,yer gonna fit right in Peter😉

Snow showers predicted Tuesday morning.... for those of you living in the northern ADK, how soon do I have to buy snow tires?
I agree with everything Warp has said. But! When I own a personal truck, I'll be running 4 studded snows in the winter. I believe in them, and why the hell not. With all the muddy, slushy, frozen cornfields I drive through I need all the traction I can get!

Here in CNY, I'd start running them the 2nd week of November. Up in the ADK, I'd say Nov 1st.

There is something to be said for learning to drive in challenging conditions.
And also something to be said for learning not to.

I do not say this from a high horse. 🤠

Indeed,I drove daily 20 miles one way to the college I worked at never missed a day in the blizzards of 65 66, 77 and a monster 4 day event in the 80's .

Drove back from Tremblant in a bad one a normal 4 hr drive ,but once I got thru Montreal I think there were fewer than 5 cars on the for the next 125 miles .....I was damn fortunate they kept The International Bridge open at the Border that night but my trusty 5 speed stick shift Saab900 just kept moving along

Now we have an Outback and a RAV4 and those motor thru unplowed crap pretty well .Take it easy, keep moving and remember to allow greater stopping distance but then again us crazy ole woodchucks kinda like this North Country weather
I should qualify a few things: I am not a storm chaser, secondarily I live in the 5th largest geographic County east of the Mississippi and our roads are kept extremely well during the winter time.

The plows are out in a timely manner and consistently throughout any snowfall .

I have found the same is true for my city and frankly I have found the same in the counties that approximate White face Titus and or Snow Ridge .

It only stands to reason that those counties would be well kept since their winter livelihood depends on it.

I go through deep snow in my own backyard when I'm too damn lazy to plow it.😁😁😁

That's what I can tell you by way of clarification ,but I've been through some pretty deep s*** with both of my current vehicles and have moved right through it.

As to Campy's
Point : if I were driving on back roads if I were a hunter or in some regularly unplowed circumstances Snow tires make sense.

As the French say "chacun a son gout " to each his own.... It depends on your circumstances

Warp, i suspect part of your driving skills, like mine come from learning how to drive on snow with big old boats with V8s, rear wheel drive, no ABS or Tracton Control and Bias ply snowtires on the rear wheels only.
Exactly (though in my case it was an underpowered RWD van). I bet you still remember how to pump the brakes and steer into a skid.

Warp, i suspect part of your driving skills, like mine come from learning how to drive on snow with big old boats with V8s, rear wheel drive, no ABS or Tracton Control and Bias ply snowtires on the rear wheels only.
I've done some driving in those conditions although it was an inline 6

Yep big old Catalina's , Monaco's and my 'Stang 😉

Back