Fall Weather 2023

I've only been skiing for about 18 years and don't recall this bad of December. Until the last ~decade my home mountain of Bristol usually had a fair number of trails open for the holiday period. It's been particularly ugly the last several and this is looking like the worst.

Might not be a white Christmas but with the nightly lows, starting tomorrow, the WRODs should be able to get touched up with more coming on line before Santa Claus comes.
Thank a snowmaker if ye see em.

If ya wanna see the realtime H2O water levels of yer nearby waterbodies...
Dang gully washer.

I think Belle will bounce back quickly.
Belle says they’re gonna be closed tomorrow, Tuesday, too.
Gore & WF now say they'll be open tomorrow.
Belle had an avalanche just a few years ago that hit the lodge around this time.
Hope folks stay safe.

I've only been skiing for about 18 years and don't recall this bad of December. Until the last ~decade my home mountain of Bristol usually had a fair number of trails open for the holiday period. It's been particularly ugly the last several and this is looking like the worst.
While it certainly isn't looking good, still hoping for the best, so I'll drag these out again ...

The first one was taken at the base of Whiteface, the base of the gondola is just off camera on the right, on December 27, 2015. The second one was taken from the exact same spot on January 2, 2016. 🙏
IMG_0006-1.JPG

IMG_0012-1.JPG

The problem is, there is not a lot of cold air after the system may be a days worth
The climate here in NNJ seems to be morphing into what central VA/NC were about 20 years ago. Last year was the first time the ground did not freeze where I live. Daily temps were in the 40s sometimes touching the 50s. There were very few consecutive nights of below freezing temps. This year is shaping up to match last year. It is 2pm and still 59F with light drizzle with not much cold air in the forecast. :cry:

Reactions: MC2
The problem is, there is not a lot of cold air after the system may be a days worth
That's it in a nut shell. A couple of nights of snow making temps isn't going to cut it. The conditions over the next 2 weeks will be poor, wherever you ski.

Back