Fall Weather 2022

Looks like snowmaking temps will return Thursday or so from what I’ve seen. Thumbs down for these short windows, though.
This has to be one of the worst starts to a season that I can remember. Nothing but rain all next week.
In your young life indeed , i can remember many seasons that started at Christmas and even then it was WROD conditins plus one or two other trails . Admittedly before snowmaking technology had advanced to current state of the art . Hang in there there , quality trumps quantity

This has to be one of the worst starts to a season that I can remember. Nothing but rain all next week.

Meanwhile the mountains around SLC are around 200% of average snowpack for December 4th.

These two statements are not unrelated. More like correlated, IMO.

You might want to take a look at your ski days from the 2020/2021 season ... this weekend (first weekend in December) was the FIRST weekend of the season for a lot of areas, and many more didn't open for another one or two weeks.

Temps aren't going to be cooperating in the medium term...

Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 7.21.53 PM.png

First sign of hope I can find is in the GFS 240...

CONUS_GFS_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW-KUCHERA_240HR.gif

Yup. I still haven't gone skiing yet. Probably going to be my latest first day of the season since 01-02. Which is by choice, I just wasn't very much motivated to ski rain/freeze this weekend, nor pay for lift tickets at areas not covered by my pass last weekend, nor hike to ski the limited few inches of fast grass the week before that.

On the other hand, I did ride my gravel bike up some class IV/VI mountain roads on Friday, which still didn't have much snow at higher elevations (none at all, by now). The only folks more pissed than skiers are sledders that want those mountain roads covered ASAP, with no man made to help!

And on the positive side, at least we haven't had a man made snow wash out yet. About 15 years ago, I remember skiing Jay a week or two before Christmas and it was just the Jet as the only trail, out of control crowded. But that was due to a wash out, not a "bad start" to the season.

Back