F Vail

Mainly about Stowe & VailFail in this one.
"“You can’t offer unlimited access to something that has a limited supply. It’s as if you had a restaurant with 40 seats and then told an unlimited number of people they can come in and have a meal. You’re going to run out of space, materials and what a staff can deliver,” says Jonny Adler, a Stowe local and a partner in The Skinny Pancake restaurant business."

"“I don’t think losing a few customers is going to make a difference,” says Adler. “Vail’s a big corporation. If you ask Kirsten Lynch if she cares more about skiers or her shareholders, she’s going to say ‘shareholders,’—she should, it’s America and that’s her job,” he notes."
A little confused by the history for Katz and Epic. Pretty sure the shift away from real estate was started by the CEO before Katz. The implication that Katz came up with the Epic pass idea because of the Max Pass. The first season for the "M.A.X. Pass" was 2015-16. Epic was initiated in 2008. Also makes it sound like Epic was created and the acquisitions of new resorts ramped up quickly. Not exactly the reality. The acquisitions east of Denver started in 2012.

Probably few people in the northeast cared what VR did before Stowe was added to Epic. When Epic started, all the VR resorts were all in the west. No one in the northeast would've paid attention what happened to the first three family-owned hills in the midwest that became the "urban" division.

Would've been better to just stick to the story of what happened in the northeast in recent years. Plenty of reasons for folks in New England to be unhappy. Park City might be relevant for families who take holiday ski trips. But how many folks in the northeast fly to ski Stevens Pass?

" . . .
Young Wharton Business School grad gets tapped to run a mid-sized ski company. Rather than focus on skiing as a way to sell condos, he sees the money in the lift ticket itself. More precisely the season pass, that three-figure annual fee that’s on auto-pay on hundreds of thousands of credit cards.

An idea percolates: What if you could get everyone to buy season passes in, say May or June? You wouldn’t have to worry as much about bad weather. You’d get all the money upfront, whether it snowed or not. And if those season passes were good at resorts all over the country (or world), there would bound to be snow somewhere, right?

That Wharton grad, Rob Katz, takes an idea that was launched with the Max Pass and runs big with it, incentivizing early season pass sales by offering early discounts. As CEO of Vail Resorts, he jacks up the day ticket prices too, so it’s much more attractive to buy, say, a $783 season pass versus paying as much as $200 a day at a walk-up window.

How do you find more people willing to buy season passes in April? Well, you buy more ski resorts. Not just any ski resorts, but local hills near big population centers where people are passionate about their home mountains and ski every weekend.
. . ."

I don't know Westway being so dangerous as to lead to fatalities. People are unlikely to slide into the woods on it due to its width, unless they are skiing fast on the edge of the trail.
Double fall line - if you can't self arrest and fall at speed where it's steep. You can go into the fence eventually. It's ugly AF.

The traffic & parking are major VailFail shitshows too.
How many MPGs do vehicles get stuck in traffic?
Interesting that neither Stevens Pass, nor Crystal in WA got a mention.

Does seem that LCC/BCC managed to come up with a solution to avoiding drivers getting frustrated because they had to turn around after making the drive up a canyon road. Although I can't imagine all Alta skiers are happy with having to pay for parking on weekends if they aren't season pass holders.

Double fall line - if you can't self arrest and fall at speed where it's steep. You can go into the fence eventually. It's ugly AF.
From riding the Zephyr, I don't see any obvious double fall line. The last time I skied Westway when it was groomed edge to edge was a very long time ago, where I could ski it at tremendous speed with turns so large and I didn't notice any tendency to pull me toward the trees. Maybe its because its so wide that I didn't even get close to the boundaries.

I don't know that cutting a blue trail on the west side is possible. They had a good one (Way Out) that was ruined by the Hunter North addition. Hunter North had three fatalities in its first season. Annapurna had one back in 2017. The response has been to re-rate Twilight and Overlook to black and essentially ignore that Annapurna exists. Unfortunate. Not doing Epic next season and with day rates the way they, it may be some time before I make it back there.
Vail/Peak focuses on utilizing the North to reduce the crowd in the main mountain because it offers green, blue and black trails. Without those variety of trails for the West, it will always have the lowest priority.

I remember when I use to ski Windham way back and their North peak only had black trails. The lifts on the North were practically empty. After they cut some easier ways down, long lift lines suddenly appeared (not nearly as long as the base lifts though).

What a screwed up company. You would think that they would step back and figure out how to manage all the mountains they own after the debacle of the past few years, but, no, all they know how to do is gobble up mountains. And this is thousands of miles away on a different continent.

What a screwed up company. You would think that they would step back and figure out how to manage all the mountains they own after the debacle of the past few years, but, no, all they know how to do is gobble up mountains. And this is thousands of miles away on a different continent.

Ain’t that the place The Maggots recently went to?
Looked like a nice cool place they stayed at too.

Last edited:
Back