F Vail

The Tom Clyde article is actual journalism, as opposed to the previous Park Record article about Andermatt that Tiro linked above, which included this tasty beancounter quote: "Vail Resorts anticipates significant EBITDA growth over time from the expansion of the village bed base, the mountain investments and capacity expansions, and the inclusion of the resort on the Epic Pass products." Glass half full, at least VR is transparent about its motivations.

On the other hand, there's this: "Vail Resorts announced it has purchased the Andermatt-Sedrun resort in Switzerland. I’ve never heard of it, but it appears to be big."

Dude, seriously?
He writes op-ed stuff.
It’s just BS-ing,
as in this,
"The Swiss take their skiing very seriously. This could be the end of Swiss neutrality."

F Vail before they F you.
More here.

F Vail before they F you.
More here.
yet all the suckers keep buying the epic pass...

I'll be buying and Epic local pass again. Hoping to get out to Japan and use it next winter.
I love the flexibility of slipping out for some quick lunchtime turns at Hunter - like today. :)

Hoping the Vail thing keeps increasing my property value. If they build on the North Area - I can see it going higher since I live near there.

Have a great summer everyone!

Sorry we can't go back in time and get a different mountain, You may be correct about Hunter designs, but the Slutskeys were pioneers and Hunter on a good day gives a good ski experience, and many of those "city folks" you seem to disdain are damn good skiers, biggest problem with Hunter is the closeness to a mega-population. it's a decent size mountain for a day trip from Jersey , NYC and Long Island, so it fills up, I don't care what anyone says about the terrain, yeah most trails rap around the mountain, but it is still somewhat better than Belle or Windham, Most of Belle's better trails have a short steep start and then a long easy runout. Windham also from the main mountain has sort of a similar lay out , It's the Catskills not Utah, so we take what we get. Hunter still suffers from the rep it got in the 70's and early 80's, but it has a tough bunch of skiers and riders , some maybe too tough, just make more snow next year Hunter , and there is nothing a few bulldozers and snow fences couldn't do to make West Way skiable for the average expert skier, of course with snowmaking.

Sorry we can't go back in time and get a different mountain, You may be correct about Hunter designs, but the Slutskeys were pioneers and Hunter on a good day gives a good ski experience, and many of those "city folks" you seem to disdain are damn good skiers, biggest problem with Hunter is the closeness to a mega-population. it's a decent size mountain for a day trip from Jersey , NYC and Long Island, so it fills up, I don't care what anyone says about the terrain, yeah most trails rap around the mountain, but it is still somewhat better than Belle or Windham, Most of Belle's better trails have a short steep start and then a long easy runout. Windham also from the main mountain has sort of a similar lay out , It's the Catskills not Utah, so we take what we get. Hunter still suffers from the rep it got in the 70's and early 80's, but it has a tough bunch of skiers and riders , some maybe too tough, just make more snow next year Hunter , and there is nothing a few bulldozers and snow fences couldn't do to make West Way skiable for the average expert skier, of course with snowmaking.
I'm don't need you to say "Sorry" - but thanks for the sentiment.
I like Hunter.
I like the riding and the terrain.
I like living here next to the creek.
I like the house I live in
I like my friends that live in town.
I like how the town is getting more diverse and accepting.
I like the food options between here and Windham.
I like the hiking and kayaking.
I like that I'm close to NYC for work and close to my aging family.
I like that I can ride mid-week.
I like all my friends that work at the mountain.

I'm good.

Orville and Izzy always opened Annapurna until they started to cede decision making to the next generation. Peak Resorts bought Hunter in 2015. They only owned Hunter until Vail bought Peak in 2019. Peak really did not even establish a pattern, other than they had less snowmaking than the Slutzkys. Here in the East, Vail has repeatedly shown they do not care to offer the best product at many of their ski areas.
funny because along with Hunter I went to Okemo and Sunnapee both Vail properties , it seemed they were well covered with snow with whales everywhere on both places, what is the reason that Hunter didn't take advantage of the very cold weather in January to make snow is beyond me, they did seem to learn their lesson and made snow in late March

funny because along with Hunter I went to Okemo and Sunnapee both Vail properties , it seemed they were well covered with snow with whales everywhere on both places, what is the reason that Hunter didn't take advantage of the very cold weather in January to make snow is beyond me, they did seem to learn their lesson and made snow in late March
Wildcat and Attitash were disasters all season.

It may have been that those areas were better staffed for unforeseen reasons instead of conscious decisions to put focus on them instead of others. FWIW, I’m throwing darts in the dark here and have absolutely no idea.

Back