F Vail

Listen to Stuart's interviews with Alterra managers and higher ups, and most actually have a long history around ski mountains. VPs actually bumped chairs, groomed, and taught in ski schools once.
I’ll take your word for it. I try to keep my “ski media intake/actual skiing time” ratio within reason. There are literally 1000s of podcasts I would queue up before listening to an interview of executives of ski areas that I don’t ski at.

I do think there is a bigger story there in the NYT article. How to balance bringing new people into the sport while the current participants rant about crowded lift lines and access rd traffic. My take: sorry boomers…once you guys fully age out, the issue might resolve itself. Probably catastrophically for “the industry”.

This is why Vail's approach isn't good for skiing. You need to encouraging the next gen, and all they are doing is skimming the cream created by others. "You need to" is all based on giving a shit about the future of skiing, and clearly they don't.

Some of the reaction to Vail will be clubiness. Gore on a powder day, almost got to be a passholder. Absolutely great for me, I'm loving it, but maybe not great for skiing, long term.

I’ll take your word for it. I try to keep my “ski media intake/actual skiing time” ratio within reason. There are literally 1000s of podcasts I would queue up before listening to an interview of executives of ski areas that I don’t ski at.

I do think there is a bigger story there in the NYT article. How to balance bringing new people into the sport while the current participants rant about crowded lift lines and access rd traffic. My take: sorry boomers…once you guys fully age out, the issue might resolve itself. Probably catastrophically for “the industry”.
Yeah, I can envision weekend only ski areas in a lot of places, because all you see during the week are old fuckers like me, and college kids screwing off.

I was just out at Palisades Tahoe on MLK weekend (duh), looked around in the lift lines, and thought, damn, this is a young crowd. Tuesday rolls around, and it was, Oh, here's all the old people who stayed home during all that.

Yeah, sorry.

Six days at Mammoth, including one at June, then four at Palisades Tahoe, formerly known as Squaw/Alpine Meadows. All iKon.

It was all pretty much the same for snow, six feet of hardpack from those massive Xmas storms they had, and nothing since (even now). They're still in a bad drought, but, at least I had a surface to ski on. 40 degree days.
Mammoth is awesome, great place I've always wanted to ski. Cool town with good food. June, eh, the ladies in the ski club liked. Nice scenery. Palisades Tahoe is really cool, massive, and will soon be connected by a gondola, mid station on top of KT22. Towers are up, corona slowed it down. Alpine Meadows will no longer exist soon as a separate entity, they are folding it all into one place.
Great place to ski. If only it wasn't so rock hard off piste.
Stayed in Truckee, twenty minutes north, good food.

I'd love to know Broomfield's strategy for the ongoing avalanche of bad press. I wonder if they're just ignoring it at this point?

Well, so far, Katz elbowed the new CEO out of the way to do that podcast interview with Stuart, and they replaced the manager at Stevens Pass. That's about it.

Back