F Vail

Humans hate change. It’s scary.

As a trail builder im involved with a lot of reroutes and rebuilds of old trails and I get a lot of hate for it. Change is a trigger. Im a little weird in the way that I embrace it and try to see the positive in the change or an opportunity to do better.

So what if the Arizona Snowbowl is no longer a place I care to be because of the crowds and disrespectful young, college kid crowd that unapologetically runs our kids over. Im seeing a motivator to get my ass in gear to start figuring out how I can spend 6+ weeks a winter at Taos. I see a net gain in that move!
I'm trying to get where you are by embracing change. Funny we're talking about this because my wife and I had this discussion just last night. The dynamics of our deer camp have changed bigly, mostly due to guys having kids now. That's very foreign to me as I can't fully understand it due to not having kids. What has changed, and honestly pissed me off some, is guys aren't staying at camp as long. This year I'll be embracing the time I have at camp alone. Shenanigans are part of why I love our camp but maybe some solitude will be just as good.

I agree with all of this. Translated you are saying that capitalism should be regulated, and it is to a large extent. "Capitalists" drive on publicly funded roads and cash their social security checks. The disagreements between people come down to where on the continium we should fall. Are you advocating regulation on Vail?
I wish I had a solution, my own fear is that at large we've lost control as common folk in the current economic systems. I don't want this to turn political or anything so I won't go much further. The reality is that this duopoly effect is rampant in many industries, capitalism relies on their being winners and losers, some deserve to lose but I think the real losers are us as "consumers".

I also don't want to get political, and if it did, it would probably be as much my fault as yours. Hard to stay away from "capitalism" with a legit discussion on Vail. I appreciate all you guys discussing this is a respectful way. I'm getting a lot from this discussion.

I'm trying to get where you are by embracing change. Funny we're talking about this because my wife and I had this discussion just last night. The dynamics of our deer camp have changed bigly, mostly due to guys having kids now. That's very foreign to me as I can't fully understand it due to not having kids. What has changed, and honestly pissed me off some, is guys aren't staying at camp as long. This year I'll be embracing the time I have at camp alone. Shenanigans are part of why I love our camp but maybe some solitude will be just as good.
There’s beauty in alone time out in the forest Camp. Totally embrace that. I guess it’s not for everyone but I get a shit ton of it while working and I absolutely love it.

To avoid big corps, is there a thread where we can talk about the smaller Mom and Pop style mountains?
Sorry but I'm kind of new here so maybe there is.

I think my wife and I are going to go to Powder Mountain Utah this year. I went there 4 years ago and loved it. The place is so chill, not corporate, so sparse off people (they actually limit ticket sales to 1500 per day for >8k acres) and so much to explore. We like to explore. She's an advance beginner comfortable with groomed greens and blues (parallel skiing) and would probably go off piste a bit. We love to explore the mountain rather than just rip laps on the same handful of runs crowded amongst others. May also drive up to Grand Targhee. Interested in hearing about other possible options not limited to that region, east included.

Anyway please point me in the direction of a thread that talks about other hidden gems.

Thank you

Back