EVolve NY: EV Charging Stations

There should be a way to override that for snow.
There are four motors (one on each wheel) and an extremely intelligent torque system (subaru does that); I imagine they'll also have a snow traction mode. Tesla has similar smart awd.

You get a 22% credit oh your taxes. I was sold on rivian until they delayed shipping 3 years now. I'll look at what's ii out there when I'm ready in 2023. Summer of 22 I'm trying to get off the grid.
It may be only Rivian is actually out in 2023 : ) For taxes, I know there is 7500 tax credit federal and NY 500. What is the 22%?

There should be a way to override that for snow.
My only experience with EVs is in golf carts, but launch control is a more difficult technical problem than ABS or stability control. I know someone who pulls the fuse to disable the traction control on his Prius every winter, There's a reason there is a defeat switch for the TC on most cars. AWD torque vectoring may give acceptable performance, but I'm still not ready to go EV for more than one reason.

FWIW the future is autonomous EVs that will be automatically immobilized until the roads are plowed. Your grandchildren will be incredulous when you tell them about driving snowstorms to ski powder. They'll ask you what snow was too. If the GPS system fails we'll all starve to death because we can't find the Shoprite. Only the Amish will survive.

mm

That will only make them difficult to drive in the snow. That's another reason I'm not ready to go electric yet.

mm
From what I have seen and read. The 2 motor Tesla preforms very well in the snow and ice

I’m most interested in the Rivian. We’ve been waiting on the skateboard/in-hub motors concept for so long already. Not sure if we can keep it as admirably non-political as we have so far, but is there a plan out there to increase electrical generation? Widespread adoption has to impact the grid in big ways right? An EV is only as clean as the plant that makes its electricity after all.

... is there a plan out there to increase electrical generation? Widespread adoption has to impact the grid in big ways right? An EV is only as clean as the plant that makes its electricity after all.
EVs are almost all good for the electric system. The vast majority of charging can be done overnight, when there is excess capacity and power is cheapest and cleanest. (Con Ed already has rates for that.) Cars connected to the system during afternoon peak hours can actually sell power and voltage support back to the system, and the batteries can still be used for energy storage after their useful life in the cars, which will increase the capacity of the sytem to use wind and solar energy. All that technology exists now, but yet not at a scale that has any noticeable effect. That will change as EVs become more common.

One issue may be the need to charge up at 2pm on the day of a heat wave. You might not be able to do that, or you might pay the equivalent of $100/gallon for gas.

mm

One issue may be the need to charge up at 2pm on the day of a heat wave. You might not be able to do that, or you might pay the equivalent of $100/gallon for gas.
So, it sounds like there’s nothing on the horizon that makes an EV as practical as a gasser? I’m not trying to argue for or against. I spend tons of time in my car and am trying to figure out if an EV will ever fit my needs. Some times I do 200 miles of mixed driving in a day for work. Most days are just under 100. But I also have to think about depreciation. I do over 30k miles a year. I’ll have it at 100k miles in about 3.5 years.

So, it sounds like there’s nothing on the horizon that makes an EV as practical as a gasser? I’m not trying to argue for or against. I spend tons of time in my car and am trying to figure out if an EV will ever fit my needs. Some times I do 200 miles of mixed driving in a day for work. Most days are just under 100. But I also have to think about depreciation. I do over 30k miles a year. I’ll have it at 100k miles in about 3.5 years.

IMO, they aren't there yet for you. You'll get killed on the back end.

Back