Earliest Big Event You Remember

I would be remiss to not add Franz Klammer's gold medal winning downhill run in the 1976 Olympics.
My buddy Rick who is a non-skier broke his mother's glass coffee table banging on it with his fists he got so excited watching it.

I would be remiss to not add Franz Klammer's gold medal winning downhill run in the 1976 Olympics.
My buddy Rick who is a non-skier broke his mother's glass coffee table banging on it with his fists he got so excited watching it.
Folks made a movie that’s coming out now about Klammer and that race.
“Did you always want to be famous?” He responds simply “No, I just wanted to ski.”

When I started nordic skiing we'd call going around corners fast, with chattering skis:

"Franz Klammering"

Probably the assassination of President Kennedy. My family had only recently gotten a TV because I had a Hunter College Elementary School assignment that required watching some show. My father mostly just used it to watch news. I have pretty clear memories of the horse with no rider.
Similarly for me, my earliest memory of a major public event is watching the funeral of RFK (June 1968) in the kitchen of our then-house on Nottingham Road in Syracuse, just down the road from Drumlins Country Club. I remember my mother crying.

Arguably the most exciting run in history
I was hoping to see the full actual run, but it looks like it's not in that article.

Back