COVID-19 stats and research news - until Nov. 15, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happened to notice that the Nevada public university systems recently decided to require employees to be vaccinated. Had already required students to be vaccinated by Nov. 1, 2021 in order to register for the spring semester. The deadline for employees is Dec. 1, 2021. About 85% are already vaccinated. About half of Nevada's 17 counties have first dose vax rates under 45%, state population is about 3 million.

September 30, 2021

Maine colleges have had vaccination requirements for a while. The final deadline seems to be Oct. 15. Combined with masking, and regular testing of unvaccinated people, community spread of Delta has been very low on the campuses.

October 1, 2021

In general, Maine is a typical story for a mostly rural state. Only difference is that it's in New England where overall vax rates by state are generally fairly high. While the vaccination rate is reasonably high around the cities in southeastern Maine, it's under 70% (total pop) in the northern, relatively unpopulated counties. Those counties also don't have much ICU capacity. The peak for detected cases may have happened in Sept.

October 2, 2021

Maine colleges have had vaccination requirements for a while. The final deadline seems to be Oct. 15. Combined with masking, and regular testing of unvaccinated people, community spread of Delta has been very low on the campuses.

October 1, 2021

In general, Maine is a typical story for a mostly rural state. Only difference is that it's in New England where overall vax rates by state are generally fairly high. While the vaccination rate is reasonably high around the cities in southeastern Maine, it's under 70% (total pop) in the northern, relatively unpopulated counties. Those counties also don't have much ICU capacity. The peak for detected cases may have happened in Sept.

October 2, 2021
Got my 3 rd dose this past thurs
I sure hope that’s it

Got my 3 rd dose this past thurs
I sure hope that’s it
I expect it will be for this current version of the Pfizer vaccine. Seems fairly likely that a COVID-19 vaccination will be more like a flu shot than a measles vaccination. There has even been a little talk about coming up with a combined annual shot that would cover both. Too soon to know what will happen before the 2022-23 flu season.

I expect it will be for this current version of the Pfizer vaccine. Seems fairly likely that a COVID-19 vaccination will be more like a flu shot than a measles vaccination. There has even been a little talk about coming up with a combined annual shot that would cover both. Too soon to know what will happen before the 2022-23 flu season.
Yep

12 years is a long time for that level position. He's 71.
Collins is the boss of the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (Fauci) who has held that position for ~37 years and will turn 82 Christmas Eve.

Last edited:
Aspirin article.

In summary, our analysis suggests that aspirin use may have beneficial effects in patients with COVID-19. Mechanistically, these findings are plausible given aspirin’s irreversible antiplatelet effect and the frequent hypercoagulability observed in COVID-19 patients. The results of our study are intriguing, especially because aspirin has been thoroughly studied in chronic cardiovascular disease, has a well-described safety profile, and is readily available throughout the world. The preliminary, hypothesis-generating nature of our study provides the basis for a larger study, which will be needed to confirm our findings and assess the extent to which the relationships observed in our study are causal. Until a randomized controlled trial of aspirin is performed, it is imperative to exercise cautious optimism and deliberately balance aspirin’s known risks against its potential benefits in patients afflicted by COVID-19

And yet today in the news it was all about not taking low dose aspirin as a heart disease preventative.

What to do? What to do?
huh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back