COVID-19 stats and research news - until Nov. 15, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vermont is in the midst of increasing detected cases. There is a reason that many states or cities have mask mandates for indoor businesses. Vaccines were designed to reduce the likelihood of serious illness and death, not to prevent infection from SARS-CoV-2. Even people who are vaccinated but have underlying medical conditions are at higher risk of hospitalization, although are far less likely to end up in ICU. Since the VT vax rate is very high, it's not a surprise that there are breakthrough cases being detected. While the peak for the Delta wave was lower than Dec2020-Jan2021, it was higher than for other states with high vax rates that have some masking requirements.

October 12, 2021
" . . .
Health Commissioner Dr. Mark Levine said that 70% to 75% of the new cases are among people who are unvaccinated.

Statistics show those who are unvaccinated are almost four times more likely than the vaccinated to become infected and hospitalized with COVID-19. Still, there are about 62,100 eligible Vermonters who have not been vaccinated.
. . ."

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.02.33 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.20.23 AM.jpg

Last edited:
New England states have high vax rates. But they also are dealing with increasing case numbers and relatively high hospitalization numbers. Hospitals in VT, NH, ME are stressed. The contrast over the last few weeks between CT and MA where there are some mask mandates and VT, NH, ME is noticeable. I think only CT has a state mandate for masking in K-12 schools.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.28.21 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.31.17 AM.jpg

Vermont is in the midst of increasing detected cases... While the peak for the Delta wave was lower than Dec2020-Jan2021, it was higher than for other states with high vax rates that have some masking requirements.
The number of cases in Vermont now is actually higher than last Dec20-Jan21, just saying.
Check the data presented in the Vermont Digger.
Other sources support Digger’s data.

The number of cases in Vermont now is actually higher than last Dec20-Jan21, just saying.
Sorry, wasn't clear in what I wrote. The number of detected cases is higher than the previous peak but the number of hospitalizations is not. I must say I'm a bit surprised at how things are going in VT. What's happened in NH and ME is less of a surprise since those states weren't so intent on pushing public health measures in 2020. Pretty sure the travel restrictions for VT were had the most impact on a state's ski resorts in New England.

The trend for detected cases shows the impact of Delta.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 4.00.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.20.23 AM.png

Looks like Australia and New Zealand will open up to international travelers in the next month or two. Some folks on the Aussie ski forum are booking flights to Canada and Japan already.

Now that the Canadian border with the U.S. is open, the issue of mixed-vaccinations aka heterologous vaccinations is clearer. Some Canadians got Astra-Zeneca first and then Pfizer, mostly because Pfizer was in short supply earlier in 2021. The WHO approved list includes AZ and a few other vaccines being used in many countries.

Australia recently announced that mixed-vaccination would be accepted once international travel opens up.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 12.03.24 PM.png

Booster shots for any of the three vaccines have been approved by FDA. Applies to folks at higher risk, including people over 65 or working in a job with higher potential exposure to COVID-19.

Here's the message I got via email today from Medicare. Links go to relevant CDC webpages.

"Good news! If you're 65 or older and you're fully vaccinated for COVID-19, you can get a COVID-19 vaccine booster shot. You can also get a booster shot if you're over 18 and have underlying medical conditions, live in a long-term care facility, or work or live in a high-risk setting.

Booster shots are now available for the Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines.

You can get a booster shot at least 6 months after you complete your second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. Or, you can get a booster shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at least 2 months after your first dose."

I'm not eligible and that's ok. Just wondering if someone is going to contact me when my time comes?

I'm not eligible and that's ok. Just wondering if someone is going to contact me when my time comes?
That probably depends on the state or local jurisdiction. I put myself on an email list for NC back in 2020. When there are major changes in eligibility, I've been notified.

My second shot was in May. I got Moderna. Not particularly in a hurry to get a booster shot. Not worried about it either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back