Coronavirus and Skiing

Shooting for WF on Monday. Wondering what the approx number of skiers who showed up today was. Just threw a stack of N95 masks in my truck in preparation for the days ahead.

Don't know if this is behind the paywall or not:

Tahoe is completely confusing because CA travel and short-term lodging is restricted by not NV.

Looks like Coronavirus may keep my family from making the annual MLK trip to Placid/Whiteface for the first time in more than 20 years. The inability to secure lift tickets just makes the idea of going unattractive. It’s all a bit sad. At least I might get a longer trip west out of it, if we decide to go, because my son and I may push it to that weekend and get four days in.

Covid is really screwing things up in mountain towns now. This may be the final nail in the coffin for the ski bum.

That is a hard read but it’s not news to me. Many ski town jobs (especially those highlighted in this article) are just a small component of the much larger leisure/lodging/restaurant businesses. The restaurant industry, I can attest, is still suffering an Armageddon.

Anyone have a good COVID face mask suggestion for skiing? I think the one I have is breathable so might not be good protection.

Anyone have a good COVID face mask suggestion for skiing? I think the one I have is breathable so might not be good protection.
My wife ordered some of the SkiTheEast masks as a Christmas gift. The graphics are a little flamboyant for me and they don’t have any real insulation value but they work well as a mask and come with a filter pocket and a couple replaceable filters.

I realized today that I really miss the social aspect of non-COVID skiing. I miss chatting with other skiers and boarders on the lift. Skiers and boarders are usually just so happy to be out skiing and are usually so positive. Unless, they're being truthful about conditions, of course. ;)

My wife ordered some of the SkiTheEast masks as a Christmas gift. The graphics are a little flamboyant for me and they don’t have any real insulation value but they work well as a mask and come with a filter pocket and a couple replaceable filters.
I purchased masks made by Mission. I’m very happy with them. I tried a few others but they were all deficient inn some aspect.

I realized today that I really miss the social aspect of non-COVID skiing. I miss chatting with other skiers and boarders on the lift. Skiers and boarders are usually just so happy to be out skiing and are usually so positive. Unless, they're being truthful about conditions, of course. ;)
I’m with you. You meet a lot of interesting folks on the lift

Back