Coronavirus and Skiing

"Frank said the Front Gate project is going to use lessons learned during the COVID-19 pandemic regarding what owners want.
The units will all have offices or dens for remote workers. Owners who fill up their units while visiting will also be able to reserve space in an office in each building.
Owners will have access to new trails to the property’s hillsides.
While the units are intended for owner use, there will be a front desk in each building and a rental program.
Amenities will also include hot tubs, a water slide and golf simulators. An arcade will help occupy kids who don’t want to watch their parents working out their swings."
"“The market reaction has been spectacular,” Blake said. That interest has come from the Vail Valley’s usual markets, including Texas and Florida, with a lot of interest from Front Range buyers."

Emphasis added.

Probably not all due to Omicron in Jan 2022. Several places didn't get any snow after early January. I know of people who cancelled trips to Utah, Tahoe, and Taos because of the low snow conditions. The fewer flight options on Southwest to the Rockies from the east made it that much easier to decide to cancel or postpone ski trips.

I can tell you it's still busy in Michigan, The metro Detroit hills are still selling out of rental equipment on weekends. On one hand it's good to see them doing well, on the other hand i hate the long lift lines.

Except for Wolf Ridge, all the ski areas/resorts in the southeast (TN, NC, VA, WV) are having a good season. Wolf Ridge never invested properly in snowmaking in the last decade or two. The others have had more than enough cold snaps to have built up a deep enough base to withstand the expected warm spells. Quite a few have limited ticket sales and been sold out every weekend since MLK weekend.

Massanutten had to limit resort rentals because the new waiting approach led to long waits over MLK weekend. That was partially because of the changes due to moving to a system where every tech needed to have a computer screen. Combined with staffing issues at times, it wasn't a good situation in January on weekends. Adjustments to the rental process were needed and implemented before Pres. Day weekend.

There were few people masked indoors at the ski areas I was at last week (western MA, West Mountain, Plattekill, Montage). At Berkshire East, there were still signs up that masking was required in the lodges but when the lodge was relatively empty in the afternoon few people were bothering. The early birds who arrived before the lifts opened did mask in the lodge. The signs said it was a local town rule. There were other places in the region where most, if not all, signs related to masking had been taken down at gas stations. Even Sheetz in PA is no longer requiring employees to be masked. So it depends on local mask rules at this point.

Sharing lifts with strangers was back to pre-pandemic norms.

There were few people masked indoors at the ski areas I was at last week (western MA, West Mountain, Plattekill, Montage). At Berkshire East, there were still signs up that masking was required in the lodges but when the lodge was relatively empty in the afternoon few people were bothering. The early birds who arrived before the lifts opened did mask in the lodge. The signs said it was a local town rule. There were other places in the region where most, if not all, signs related to masking had been taken down at gas stations. Even Sheetz in PA is no longer requiring employees to be masked. So it depends on local mask rules at this point.

Sharing lifts with strangers was back to pre-pandemic norms.
Caberfae still asks if you are ok with going with a person not in your group on the lift. I would say 99.9% of the time no one has an issue

Went to the Ski Company today in the Cuse while runnin errands. Talked with Jimmy, a long time ski team coach for Colgate. He fixed my boots a couple years ago as I had wore too thick socks at times and screwed the liner a bit and he had fixed it with some super duct tape to allow me to get em on and off with correct socks without doing further damage. He said he hasn’t seen the supply chain inventory for ski goods this bad in his life. They appeared to have lots of skis and clothes though.
Thought about some new boots but the ones I have work great but the back of one liner is still a tad beat up.
Decided to keep runnin ‘em till they shit the bed.
...Let it snow.
Monday the tape tore and some foam went to the heal on the left liner.
Figured I ski it with the “mini heal lift” in place. and see how it felt.
Front-of-the-boot was in effect but more for the left one.
Didn’t bother me at all but knew something was there in the heel.
Bought some new tape today and gonna try to patch it back up.
They’re Rossi’s 80 synergy 2 & like an old friend.

Anybody know what the boot and/or liner market is like these daze?

Monday the tape tore and some foam went to the heal on the left liner.
Figured I ski it with the “mini heal lift” in place. and see how it felt.
Front-of-the-boot was in effect but more for the left one.
Didn’t bother me at all but knew something was there in the heel.
Bought some new tape today and gonna try to patch it back up.
They’re Rossi’s 80 synergy 2 & like an old friend.

Anybody know what the boot and/or liner market is like these daze?
No replies on status the new boot/liner market ...
The gorilla tape matched what Jimmy installed earlier and they skied and felt as good as new.
Also bought some more slippery carpet tape so I’m ready for gravity research testing of that stuff if it rips again.

Back