Coronavirus and Skiing

Yeah, that's a serious four season resort. They did something like 75 weddings a year or two ago. Lots of conferences, and even lacrosse camps.

What is the first thing big business will do when revenue tanks? They will cut expenses. Top of the list is labor and snowmaking at least in the northeast

We haven't seen the snowmaking this year because of the temps haven't been there, but employment is definitely down, if you listen to that pod.

Darn pod won’t load on my phone

We haven't seen the snowmaking this year because of the temps haven't been there, but employment is definitely down, if you listen to that pod.
And, with employment down, skiers on the hill will be down. Killington gives employees free family passes, and I'm guessing that's a perk at other mountains in Vermont, too.

Just listened to half of the pod above, sounds like Jay and Killy are estimating business being down 50% and Bolton estimating 20%.

I keep hear this idea that the "big companies" can weather a terrible season better than a smaller company. This seems to be conventional wisdom, but to me not necessarily logical. Assuming Vail is the biggest, every single one of their properties is in the same boat as every individual property.

Any one got opinions, information or facts?
I listened to the whole podcast. Good and informative, although I would have like to hear a bit more from nordic area managers / owners. Sounds about like I expected: things are gonna be tough.

I stopped by the Massanutten snowsports office on the way home. Heard that they were busier in Sept and Oct than any other year. Remember, it's a timeshare resort so there is plenty of lodging. A lot of people live in easy driving distance (2.5 hours form DC, Richmond, etc.). They are in the midst of re-arranging the interior space of both the usual rental building and the ski school building next door that will be use for rentals this season. Mostly for the snowboard gear. But will have some ski gear for kids there too. That way a family who needs both can just go in one building.

Mnut is going to use the Wintersteiger software for rentals that handles all the paperwork in advance. The techs will end up with much less contact time for a given renter.

Only offering private lessons. No children's snowsports lessons. That will cut down on the number of people interested. But also means fewer instructors will be needed. Even with the city of Harrisonburg and local towns nearby, staffing is always a challenge. Not only for ski school instructors, rental techs, or lifties, but also for the indoor waterpark and other amenities at the resort.

Indy Pass holders won't need to make a reservation. Day tickets will be limited, with some reserved for timeshare owners or resort guests. Season passholders don't need reservations for lift access.

And, with employment down, skiers on the hill will be down. Killington gives employees free family passes, and I'm guessing that's a perk at other mountains in Vermont, too.

I am a bit worried about snowmaking or particularly the lack of this season. Certainly, a cost that the mountain can contain....especially if they are expecting such drastic decreases in skier visits.

Back