Building a House with Wood

Obviously a fireplace that doesn't need electricity is ideal. That was the plan.

We have "some" backup.

Propane furnace will heat all three floors. It needs electricity. We are also installing a propane generator. TBH I have no idea how long 1000 or 500 (half full) gallons will last supplying the basics in a house.

We will also have a woodstove in the basement.

The direct vent pipe is 8" wide, so a chase to include it would be significant. There may be a way to do it. I won't buy the fireplace until we've finalize the finish on the ceiling.

This is the kind of thing the designer should nail. That's why you pay for it. It's a bit vexing.

^this. With a fan and a power failure, will you get any heat?

Can you encase a silver pipe in a material that matches the rest of the house (and is still a esthetically pleasing to you)?
Our pipe runs Inside the existing fp brick chimney absolutely zero visual of that exhaust except the "coolee cap," on top of the brick chimney

To answer your question ; you get heat without power by CONVECTION which kept us warm but hook up a battery to blower and it works to increase volume

Right now it looks like the "best" solution is to run the power vent down (not ideal) through the floor, and out the basement wall, terminating it at the outer edge of the porch. Visually you probably won't notice it.

It's certainly a compromise.

Right now it looks like the "best" solution is to run the power vent down (not ideal) through the floor, and out the basement wall, terminating it at the outer edge of the porch. Visually you probably won't notice it.

If you’re running it down into the basement can you sister it up next to the wood stove pipe, making a double flue, and have it come out up at the ridge? Odds are you wouldn’t have windows open when the fireplace is on but getting that exhaust up up and away is best.

That sounds sketchy. You should get a second opinion. Find an architect in NJ and show him/her a drawing.

I don't think that will be an issue. Definitely not ideal or what you were planning on, but it will be fine.

Hopefully your architect gives you some kind of help? Or, $$$, is what I mean. It certainly seems like a big Fup to me.

Architect (technically a 'designer') doesn't seem interested in finding a solution. He's giving me shade for "making a lot of changes." Now he's CHARGING me for those changes, and I am making them because he didn't think it through. I'd go ballistic, but I don't think it will help.

At the risk of counting my chickens too soon, it LOOKS like the hapless homeowner from NJ may have come up with a semi-brilliant solution. When I directed my builder to the appropriate part of the drawing, he interrupted... "I see where you are going and it just might work."

It's well within manufacturers guidelines, we just need to get the county to approve the change.

ugh that's frustrating, unfortunately all too common, giving architects and builders a bad name...

At the risk of counting my chickens too soon, it LOOKS like the hapless homeowner from NJ may have come up with a semi-brilliant solution. When I directed my builder to the appropriate part of the drawing, he interupted... "I see where you are going and it just might work."
Excellent!

Sucks this guy is being so difficult.

Back