Building a House with Wood

Any other solutions
I personally would avoid power venting. Assuming this is a direct vent appliance, it is not just exhaust but also intake. Best is to have a short straight run through the roof so that you are above the porch and away from the windows. If you’re worried about snow and ice, see if you can run it up closer to the ridge line. It may be possible to run it inside the roof if not, then through a chase. Exposed on the interior is another option. If it’s run exposed then the fireplace is usually more forward in the living space with a larger mantle.

Last edited:
The short straight run requires a very tall chimney on the outside.

I'd definitely consider it close to the ridgeline. My info said that there is no approved way to run exhaust inside the roof. Any one know for sure?

The short straight run requires a very tall chimney on the outside.

I'd definitely consider it close to the ridgeline. My info said that there is no approved way to run exhaust inside the roof. Any one know for sure?

Are your windows purchased? Maybe make a fixed pane near where the exhaust would be.

I would never consider running a vent downhill and back up even with power venting. If you go with a power venter you should run it often just to keep condensation from forming and preventing the motor from seizing up.

Are your windows purchased? Maybe make a fixed pane near where the exhaust would be.
Not purchased yet. I just asked this question (fixed pane) about an hour ago.

I did that in my old house. But the nearby windows were casement and easy to match. Can you make a 'matching' double hung?

I would never consider running a vent downhill and back up even with power venting. If you go with a power venter you should run it often just to keep condensation from forming and preventing the motor from seizing up.

I was hoping not to have any downhill, but I'm not sure where I can go yet.

I assumed the power vent ran full time?

Not purchased yet. I just asked this question (fixed pane) about an hour ago.

I did that in my old house. But the nearby windows were casement and easy to match. Can you make a 'matching' double hung?

I was hoping not to have any downhill, but I'm not sure where I can go yet.

I assumed the power vent ran full time?

Not sure about your window choices?

The power vent only runs when there is a heat call.

So the fireplace is your backup? Will it be interlocked with the heat pump? It will run a lot during heat pump defrost cycle then .

99% of the propane fireplaces I’ve seen usually vent right out the back.

I can't go out the back, there is a porch there. Moving the porch is to big to do at this point.

Fireplace, yes 'backup." More like a hot tub, an amusement that keeps you warm. The fireplace won't be tied into the heat pump or furnace. We'll switch it on, if we are in the room and we area cold.

IF it can heat the whole room and we spend much of our time there, then in can be like an independent zone.

Zone 1 - basement radiant in slab
Zone 2 - 1st floor radiators
Zone 2A - propane fireplace
Zone 3 - upstair bedroom radiator

Unless your architect can come up with a solution that allows you to direct vent, I'd just go electric. I'll be putting in an electric insert in my fireplace this year. All a fireplace is is a space heater anyway.

Our gas fireplace insert is terrific had it in since just b4 the Great ice storm of 1998 it carried us thru when power was out about 12 hrs .it was convection then as blower was electrical till I hooked up a battery.

Yeah it's secondary heat but carries the entire first floor ,use it in spring and fall as primary and otherwise as a treat apres ski or holidays for additional ambiance. Vents thru fp stack.

We would never be without one some of our friends were out for a week to 10 days until power was restored during that Great Ice Storm of 98 that wreaked havoc all over NNY.

Some of the hinterlands in the foothills of the Dacks were out of power a Month 😞

Our gas fireplace insert is terrific had it in since just b4 the Great ice storm of 1998 it carried us thru when power was out about 12 hrs .it was convection then as blower was electrical till I hooked up a battery.😞
^this. With a fan and a power failure, will you get any heat?

Can you encase a silver pipe in a material that matches the rest of the house (and is still a esthetically pleasing to you)?

Back